Dongmen, Shenzhen

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by AimeeJ 15 yrs ago
Hello,

Has anyone being shopping in the Dongmen area of Shenzhen? Is it worth a visit and will a cab driver know where it is (what do you say in Cantonese?).

Thank you!

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
cookie09 15 yrs ago
you say in putonghua 'dong men' ;-)

whole of china knows where dongmen is. funny place with tons of shops. bit of low end mong kok

sistim 15 yrs ago
Or go two stops on the subway - can't remember the name of the station, but the 2nd stop.

190k 15 yrs ago
Station is Lou Gai get out at exit A

tpol 15 yrs ago
be wary of pick pockets

sistim 15 yrs ago
Friend who goes to Lo Wu a lot turned her nose up and said "No one speaks English there" (in Dong Men). Sounds like it should be cheaper then?! Might venture out some day.

Armadillo 15 yrs ago
i honestly wouldnt bother... i went a few months ago, i took the mtr. Even on the train an english speaking local told me to be careful. It was really dirty, really nasty and had nothing that i would even want for free.

If you really want to check out someplace else, for clothes i would recommend huachanbei. (check spelling..). Again i wouldnt bother going back, however it was much better than dongmen for me. It is a huge coverered market, with hundreds of stalls and shops selling clothes, but not the supposed high end designer clothes of lo wo. It is full of factory offshoots heading to the highstreets of the west... A few designer shops, everything is very very cheap.

(i took mrt to huachanbei too..)

Again be careful, it really feels dangerous. A lot of very dubious looking people, and a lot of beggars...

bakfaiyau 15 yrs ago
For Dongmen, the metro station is Lao Jie , exit A. As the post above, says - like Mong Kok. Depends what you are looking for. If its teen style clothes/hair extensions/ manicures etc then Dongmen has some of the cheapest prices around. These days it is not dangerous - the crowds are young factory workers and school kids. But the streets are noisy and dirty, even though they've been cleaned up.

Two good things are the fabric markets - cheaper than Lowu and hassle-free- and the restaurants for cheap but good eats. (Tailors in the fabric markets are a bargain too.)

The only thing in English with an accurate map of Dongmen is the Shenzhen map you can buy at Dymocks stores eg IFC, Lyndhurst Terrace etc. This also has the only map of Huaqiangbei in English and is all you need to get around by metro.The crowds at Huaqiangbei mainly come in from the countryside - again not dangerous, except for pickpockets.

These are the two main old city areas for shopping but there are lots of new malls - Coco Park, Central Walkway, Holiday Plaza etc - all on the metro and easy to get to from Lok Ma Chau and just like any HK mall.

sistim 15 yrs ago
Went to DM today for the fist time- sort of Causeway Bay meets Mong Kok & a touch of Taipei... quite young & trendy, no dirtier than the aforementioned. And they have Dunkin Donuts!! No "Missy Missy" either, so less stressful than LW. Will go back for further exploration, as time was short.

bakfaiyau 14 yrs ago
When you want a break, the MacDonalds in the square has a McCafe which is always empty! (There are two Maccas.)

The Dymocks Shenzhen map has an accurate map of Dongmen. The others all get the streets wrong, so its confusing. I usually check where I'm going by looking at the overpasses and using the Dymocks map.

You can get some good bargain "designer" handbags but it depends what you are looking for as the designs are more blingie than Lowu but cheaper for the same quality.

If you don't have big feet, check out Shoe City!

sistim 14 yrs ago
Thanks for the map info, will look for that as it is a bit of a maze.

bakfaiyau 14 yrs ago
I found mine in Princes Building Dymocks and I've seen it in the other Dymocks in Lyndhurst Terrace, Repulse Bay and Stanley.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad