Home stay/visit in China

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by bob the builder 10 yrs ago
Does anyone know if a non Chinese can stay in a private home when they visit friends in China?

Or does a non Chinese have to stay in a registered hotel?

Obviously, I will have a travel Visa.

I have been invited to to visit friends in China (local Chinese) and they have invited me to stay with them however, I am not sure if I am allowed to do so.

Can I stay with them or does it have to be a hotel?

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
ling1234 10 yrs ago
you can stay where ever you want. you also can buy a house if you wish to do so.

bob the builder 10 yrs ago
Thanks Ling1234 for your reponse.

I really am not interested in buying a house in China but was more interested to know if I am allowed to stay in a private home or does it need to be a hotel.

If anyone else has an answer or can respond to my question "Can I (non Chinese) stay in a private home of a local Chinese or must I stay in a hotel?"

Thank you in advance

mkcmkc 10 yrs ago
Hi BTB, I believe what you are referring to is the requirement for all non Chinese nationals to be registered with the local authorities (I think this is the police but am not sure). From what I remember the requirement is that anyone not staying in a hotel, with a total visit time exceeding 24 or 48 hrs, is required to carry out the reporting process by themselves (otherwise this is done by the hotel).

However, this is just from my memory and I would strong encourage you to check with the relevant authorities for the exact rules and process. Perhaps the Chinese Foreign Ministry office in HK (see link) could help.

http://www.fmcoprc.gov.hk/eng/

Best luck

bob the builder 10 yrs ago
Thanks mkcmkc

I followed your link and found the necassary informaiton.

"Article 39 Where foreigners stay in hotels in China, the hotels shall register their accommodation in accordance with the regulations on the public security administration of the hotel industry, and submit foreigners' accommodation registration information to the public security organs in the places where the hotels are located.

For foreigners who reside or stay in domiciles other than hotels, they or the persons who accommodate them shall, within 24 hours after the foreigners' arrival, go through the registration formalities with the public security organs in the places of residence. "

So it can be done but is easier to stay in a hotel.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad