organic vegetable home delivery?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by macaron mania 17 yrs ago
Is there anywhere i can order home delivery of organic vegetables?

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
dizzydog 17 yrs ago
mm,

i just found out about this place yesterday and have yet to put in my order for a trial pack.

http://www.organic-farm.com/home.htm

they'll deliver 3kgs of seasonal veg to you every week for $120. you order and pay a quarter (3 mths) in advance.

macaron mania 17 yrs ago
This is great! Thank you dizzydog!

crj 17 yrs ago
Here are some other options for you to research as well - I know one closed recently, but I forgot which one:

http://www.organicliving.com.hk/

http://www.organic-farm.com/

http://www.organichk.com/

http://www.hofa.org.hk/english/farmer_market.html

http://www.organicveg.com.hk

http://www.aussieorganics.com (from Australia, expensive)

honeypie 17 yrs ago
hi macaron mania,

How are you? i sent you an email few weeks back but got no reply, i thought you're on travel.

I tried the vege delivery suggested by dizzy-dog when i was pregnant, it was very good - on trial only. You will then pay for 1 yr membership which is 120. Delivery every week for $120, you have to pay on a quarterly basis, so you can't back out once you've started, the vege has NO variety at all, they will give you radish for 4 weeks, sometimes LOTS of watercress that if you are only 2 in the house, you'll end up eating it everyday, i stopped it after one quarter. If you have a helper, i find it better to go to city super as i can choose the vege that i like, the price is also cheap for around $15 per pack.

Anyways, if you find anything good, just let me know too ;-) Happy chinese new year!

macaron mania 17 yrs ago
hi honeypie

sorry i missed your mail. i dont know why but my pc is acting up and may have lost some mails. i have been in japan for a few weeks and just came back. i will have to fix pc and will look into those options of home delivery more closely. thanks for your suggestion. so you buy all the vege at city super? my helper tells me it is v expensive there but i am not aware of price difference of different shops. what is the best way to get reasonablly priced organic vege without hastle? i dont like carrying heavy shopping bag wth my baby...but i dont want to let my helper make decisions all the time, and i dont like shopping wth her (i know i am just being difficult)...

honeypie 17 yrs ago
you're funny.......i like buying the green leafy vegetables, so trust me, the $15 per pack is more than enough for you and hubby if you buy 2 or 3 kinds in a week. For carrots, i buy it from P&S, they have it too. No, i don't buy ALL my vege organic or at city super...too expensive, but ALL the leafy vege are from there.

If you don't like your helper making decision on what to buy, then, you would not like to have a home delivery, sometimes i don't even know what are those vege that they deliver.

Count on me on pricing, the leafy vege at city super is reasonably priced for $14 or $15, for home delivery it's also the same price. Great has this same kind of vege supplier, and it's $2 more.

Yeah, i don't like the hassle too of going to the grocery, but since i already know what vege they have, i asked my helper to get it for me on a Sunday when she goes to World-wide. The choices are potato leaves(i love this), small pak choi, choi sam, big pak choi, can't remember the other leaves. Go ask her to get it for you this Sunday to try out.

macaron mania 17 yrs ago
Hi Honeypie,

I went to City Super today by myself and got some leafy vege. You are right, they were around 15HKD. There isn't much choice in organic vege there, only green leafy vege. I suppose those are the ones you have to be very careful? Carrots and potatoes, you don't have to be so strict? It is very pricy to buy everything organic.

I mean I don't like DH making decision on what to buy all the time because it seems we spend so much money on food. 1000$ gone in a few days and no more food in the fridge! I wonder how much money people spend on average. Or are we just big eaters? If we order a box, then I will know how much vege we get for how much we pay...

dizzydog 17 yrs ago
Hi ladies,

Finding a good enough variety of organic stuff is a pain and often involves a trek to a few places to get what you want. I’m by no means an organic everything obsessive but over the past couple of months, here is what I found to the best place for the following items:-

Citysuper

• Agree, has a good selection of the organic leafy greens

• Australian organic pumpkin, courgettes, cauliflower, broccoli

• Has some Japanese organic frozen veggie choices (cubes of pumpkin/ butternut squash)

• Organic papayas (Hawaiian) – but very expensive (haven’t seen them elsewhere though)

• Organic pears, apples etc (but usually quite sad looking)

• Hormone free chicken

TASTE

• If you look very closely they have a tiny selection of Beijing grown organic veg (the word organic is usually written in Chinese characters though). which are very very reasonably priced :- potatoes ($16 per pack), spring onions (occasionally), brown onions, carrots, tomatoes

• They also have a selection called “Compost grown sweetie – natural Japanese method??” which has bell peppers ($29 each), leeks ($18 per bunch), carrots, cucumbers, pumpkins, cherry tomatoes, broccoli

• Have not seen any organic fruit though

• They also have the organic leafy greens at around $18 per pack.

• Frozen organic peas, chopped spinach and sweetcorn

Olivers

• Selection has gotten better over the past couple of months

• Best place for organic avocados ($44 for 2 and they are usually giant sized ones).

• Bell peppers ($42 for 2)

• Largest selection of organic frozen berries for making juices and smoothies

• Organic kiwis, pears & apples

• Good selection of organic cheeses and yoghurt

• Organic salmon, varieties of beef, pork mince, chicken

• Organic milk (pura brand – half and half)

GREAT

• Organic chicken carcasses ($15 for half) to make stock

• Reasonably priced organic chicken breast, leg meat etc

• Beijing/ china organic veggies are all reasonably priced (leafy greens, garlic, carrots etc) but everything else seems to quite expensive ($62 for a pack of Auz potatoes, $60 for courgettes, $68 for romaine lettuce etc)

• Can also get org. pumpkin, sweet potatoes, red potatoes etc

THREESIXTY

• The biggest variety for organic variety but also the most expensive

• The only place to regularly have organic tofu ($15 per tub) which is good enough for 2 meals for the baby. The word organic is written in Chinese though.

• Sometimes you can buy organic bell peppers for $10 each

• Packs of organic onions (red & brown) $52 per bag

• Organic salmon is on special at the moment ($28 per 100g instead of the usual $38)

• Organic meat selection is big, but pricey

• Organic fruit (pears, apples, bananas, some fresh berries)

• Has started to carry HK grown organic leafy greens – kale, choi sum, bak choi etc. They seem to be of the giant variety so not as sweet as the smaller versions.

I know Oliver and 360 take orders by phone and will deliver for free if over $500, which is easily spent and I’m sure there is more out there, but I only tend to notice the stuff my baby likes/ can eat. I have shocked myself by willingly paying $30 for one bell pepper, but I guess its part of allaying the guilt as a working mother …. but that’s another thread entirely.

HTH

macaron mania 17 yrs ago
Wow, dizzydog! you are very good, thank you for the posting. I better get my lazy axx and go to those shops! where is Threesixty???

honeypie 17 yrs ago
wow dizzydog, thanks for this tips, i'll print this and check this out. May i add Organic apple is also available at Wellcome superstore, i only see it at belchers. P&S carried it last time, but i don't see it now.

MM, do you ask the receipt from your helper? i do, even if she goes to the market, i told her to get a receipt, pretending that i understand those chinese words ;-) Just get it and throw, for her to know that you are checking the money.

You're right, for potatoes and vege that we peel, i don't buy it organic, i soak it with a vege wash. If i juice the carrots, apples, etc. I make sure it's organic.

Oh, you haven't been to 360? it's a big grocery (mostly organic) above landmark. Check it out.

vagabond 17 yrs ago
You can also try the Park N Shop in Happy Valley. They have a good selection of organic vegetables at reasonable prices.

dizzydog 17 yrs ago
mm, Threesixty is on the 3/F of the Landmark.

oh and slightly off topic, Eugene Baby has opened a 13,000 sqft store next to the old Lane Crawford in central. it's great for feeding paraphenalia.

macaron mania 17 yrs ago
Thanks everyone. I cannot believe I haven't seen threesixty in Landmark. I used to work in Chater House and always passed by through Landmark but never have seen a supermarket there!!!

mumof2boys 17 yrs ago
macaron mania and others, my inlaws are thinking of moving to Hong Kong and eat all organic and try to eat a lot of raw food. How easy overall have you found it living this lifestyle here in Hong Kong? We don't because to be honest we have been volunteers in South America for two years then I had two kids and we both were studying the last fe years so budget was the only consideration for food. Now we are working we are more interested in eating well, what is your prime motivation??

Do you cut out dairy from you diet?

Thanks.

macaron mania 17 yrs ago
mumof2boys, it is tough buying everything organic. After the scandal of residual pesticides and use of ddp for chinese vege, i stopped buying anything frm china and the money we spend on food has quadrupled! But what you can do is buy things you eat raw organic, wash and peel others thoroughly, and just do your best. at the end of the day, you cannot cut out everything that could be hazardous to your health living in hong kong....sadly. \Air polution is one of them. Having said that, I have learned that with some good information and a bit of work on your side, it is possible to live rather a healthy life here in Hong kong. I don't know if that is any help for you, but lots of women who posts on this forum are very resourceful, so if you have any question, just ask them! I have learned so much from these women on this forum.

RiceT 17 yrs ago
macaron - 360 opened sometime later in December or early January, so you're ok if you haven't been working there since then. ;)

macaron mania 17 yrs ago
aha! thanks riceT! i thought i went senile...

brotmann 9 yrs ago
vegetable home delivery

www.green-level.net

ChrissyJRamos 9 yrs ago
I usually get my organic vegs on the Park N Shop in Happy Valley

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad