Need advise on int'l travel with 7 month old

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by twinmom 14 yrs ago
I'm bringing my 7 month old twin boys to Hong Kong from NY in December. I'm looking for advise on how to handle them on the 15 hour flight and how to help them adjust to jetlag. I would appreciate any advise you could share to help make my journey less stressful!!

Thanks.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
axptguy38 14 yrs ago
Having done this exact flight with 1x 2 year old and 2x 6 month old, I can relate. ;) The 6 months old slept most of the flight. The 2 year old, not so much....

Actually small kids aren't that hard. Just keep them warm, clean and fed and they will generally be satisfied. Kids over 12 months are much more work.

Ensure they suck on something during ascent and descent in order to equalize pressure in the ears. If they have the least sign of congestion, give them something for that. You'll have to talk to your doctor beforehand to have medicine on hand.

Get some new toys that you can spring on them during the flight.

Make sure you have everything accessible easily.

With small kids, you are allowed to bring fluids and gels in the form of baby food, so do that. At the checkpoint, let the staff know that you have baby supplies in your bag and they will check it separately.

Bring two changes of clothes per child.

Ignore any dirty looks.

Don't be shy about recruiting the flight attendants to help you with little things like hot water, heating bottles, extra blankets and pillows and even watching the kids for a couple of minutes while you go to the head. Do make sure you ask nicely and thank them profusely. Not suggesting you wouldn't but I have seen some mothers who take if for granted.

Jetlag is no big deal. Make sure you get on the new schedule when it comes to food and sleep as fast as possible. Add a nap or meal perhaps. Small kids tend to adapt much faster than their parents. BTW the method is the same for adults.

twinmom 14 yrs ago
Thank you so much for your adivse. Did your 6 month old sleep comfortably in the bassinet? Not sure if all airlines have the same size bassinet. I'm flying Continental.

axptguy38 14 yrs ago
6 months is fine with a bassinet. It is a good solution because it is right there in front of you in most cases (some 747s have bassinets that hang from the overhead bins).

We didn't actually use one. Since it was a company transfer we all had seats in business class. With the seat in full "bed" position we put our little one's carrycot on the bed and strapped the seatbelt over it. She slept like the proverbial baby.

We have used a bassinet a few times, when our older girl was 10 months. She was right on the verge of being too tall, but it worked.

I would say the deciding factor is not the bassinet but how "calm" your baby is. One of our girls can't sit still to this day and is a bit "harder" to travel with. The other one just smiles and sleeps.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad