when do you stop sterilising bottles?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by taurus2006 18 yrs ago
hello, i'd like to know when should we stop sterilising bottles? i just started my 6mths on solids and i just make sure his utensils are washed clean. is that enough or must i sterilise them too?

btw, are fruit purees supposed to be cooked or served as they are? many baby cookbook says to boil or steam apples etc but wont that kill all the vitamins?

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
cd 18 yrs ago
I steralised bottles until a year, but never bothered with feeding bowls, spoons etc. Don't know why I picked a year. I used to lightly boil apples before pureeing, as they are quite a hard fruit, but I used the water I'd boiled them in to put in the liquidiser, so kept the vitamins..

crj 18 yrs ago
You can stop steralising, just wash in hot water.

But if something has lots of texture to it, you might want to steralise to be sure it is clean.

We feed mango, avocado and kiwi raw, and apple pieces we have tried but he doesn't like them.

Check out: http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/

For when to introduce which foods and simple preparation ideas, etc...

Good luck!

Wheelymate 18 yrs ago
most books that i read recommend steriling bottles until 1 year old but for weaning equipment, i think after 6 months warm soapy water will do (at least that's what i do and plan to do)!

when you first start solids, the advice is to start with cooked fruits except for stuff like avocados and bananas. to prevent excessive loss of nutrients, steaming will be better than boiling.

Z 18 yrs ago
Just had a conversation with my mom (who raised a flock of children) about what she decided was "not worth it" between the time that the first and last were babies ... the first thing that she said was that she quit sterilizing bottles at all, just washed them in hot water.

Matilda 18 yrs ago
Bottles and teats should all be sterilized through the first year. Feeding bowls and utensils can be washed in hot soapy water or on a sani-cycle in the dishwasher.

Soft fruits such as banana, mango or papaya that can be easily pureed in a blender or food processor and can be served uncooked. However, firmer fruits such as apple need to be softened by cooking. Steaming or using a micro-wave are better choices to preserve nutrients.

Well Baby Clinic 2849 1500

Matilda International Hospital

Hong Kong

http://www.matilda.org

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad