Wireless router for PC and Mac

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by tsuiwah 18 yrs ago
I went Wanchai Computer Center to pick up a wireless router and one of the shops I went into said a selling point for one particular model was that it was Mac compatible. I just assumed that all wireless routers were compatible with PCs and Macs. I am a PC user but am thinking about picking up a Mac as well. Was the salesperson correct in saying that some wireless routers are not compatible with Macs?

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
ldldjr 18 yrs ago
Given that the new macs are using intel chips (PCs in mac disguise?) which mac compatibility are you asking about? It is the OS that is in question - and my guess is that mac would not cobble together an incompatible OS - they have enough problems without adding new incompatibilities.

Very few hardware items that I buy claim to be Linux compatible, but they (usually) work. You can check on the internet for the router/s of interest for compatibility with macs, of whatever flavor of OS you will be using.

kdm03 18 yrs ago
First off, I'm no expert in the Mac field, apart from being really pretty, I see no use in them (mostly because my games don't run on them). But from what I understand, Mac's (most of the newer ones at least) have built in AirWire, which is a Mac this that can link up lots of different little bits and pieces wirelessly, and as I uinderstand it connectes wirelessly to networks. But on networking in general, Mac's are not compadible with PCs on most things (PCs run on DOS(ish) based system while Macs are based on Unix code. As such most things don't work with both (it's safer not to assume anything will unless it says so on the box).

ldldir -> the reason most things don't say Linux Compadible is because there's so many versions of Linux:

-Mandriva

-Ununtu

-Redhat

-Knoppix

-Lindows

-and many more

WonderSwan 18 yrs ago
I don't think you will have too much trouble. I have a Buffalo WBR-B11 wireless router (which I bought a year or two ago) and can tell you that my Intel Macs and Windows PCs connect to it perfectly.

Rexx 18 yrs ago
I consider buying these tech-gadgets a big headache. It is a waste of money and time when you buy the wrong thing. Now, I used a Computer Troubleshooter referred by a NET teacher. He is handy. He brought with him 3 routers to try for the best signal in my apartment last month when I enquired on getting my laptop wireless internet. He also showed me that my apartment was surrounded by 5 to 6 interferences, that was why I needed this router and that way to make it secure, blah, blah, blah! He is a life-saver.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad