Auto clearance at HKIA

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by TC 18 yrs ago
When I arrived back in HK on Sunday the Immigration Officer put a new sticker in our passports (AU/PH) along with the other usual stamps. When I asked what it meant he said we could use the automatic clearance lane in future. Our daughter can do that already in Australia because she has one of the new passports with an embedded chip - but at only 4 months of age she is going to have to wait a while to take advantage of it. Does anyone know how the auto clearance entry works? I'll send and email direct to Immigration if the easy option (here) doesn't work. Thanks.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
fairlady05 18 yrs ago
There are auto clearance gates, just beside the immigration (you might have to look out for it), which consist of two gantries, which first requires u to insert your HKID card into a slot machine, then u step into the first gantry, put your thumb onto the machine for identification, then u finish the clearance.

miffy 18 yrs ago
In other words, you can use the automatic clearance queues, which require you to swipe your card, use your thumbprint on the machine and walk on through. No queuing, no immmigration officials, no more stamps in your passport. It's a great thing.

ceeh 18 yrs ago
The lanes are marked E Channel and make the passage through Immigration much quicker. Guess when you are carrying your daughter you will have to use the 'manned' stations.

TC 18 yrs ago
I thought as much. I did see the lanes on Sunday morning, but figured it might present a challenge when travelling with the baby (no ID card, and I think she's probably sucked the thumprint off by now anyway).

dsabline 18 yrs ago
Even if you go through the regular lines they don't stamp your passport anymore after you have that sticker.

TC 18 yrs ago
BTW 'that sticker' says that no matter when you re-enter HK and by whatever means the length of your stay is limited to the expiry date of the visa stamped in your passport...and that supports the fact that you won't need to use your passport (and therefore won't get it stamped) on entry.

dsabline 18 yrs ago
TC, just to clarify - you do still need to use your passport. They need to see the sticker, but they don't stamp anything. I asked and they said to bring it even if you use the E channel in case there is any problem.

Green, it won't work for children because they do not fingerprint them when they issue their cards.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad