Buying a car??

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by ozziegirl 18 yrs ago
Hi,

Im new here. We haven't made the move to HKG yet. I just have some queries about buying a car there if anyone can help me please.

Probably looking at getting a small SUV or medium size 4WD. Can anyone give me a basic idea on the lease repayments over a 5 to 10 year period & what it's like selling a 2nd hand car in Hong Kong?

Thanks.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
jimmychu 18 yrs ago
Hong Kong has no rough torrain to go over, its all roads unless you will be out in the far New NT's, so there really is no need for a 4WD SUV gas gussler here - the pollution does not need any help! I would suggest that you call the companies direct you can find most of them listed on the net and can e-mail them for payment details. There seems to be a fairly fibrant market here for 2nd hand cars.

qvong 18 yrs ago
I would suggest if you are not planning to reside in HK for a long period of time to get a used car. There are many expats coming in and out that are getting rid of their cars.

Keep in mind, Hong Kong imposes a 100% luxury tax on all brand new vehicles. So whatever the care price is you can double it.

Also the smaller the car here the better as the car parks spaces here are fairly small.

Good Luck...

throbbing 18 yrs ago
Where will you live? Carparks in most of HK island 'luxury' residential units can be HK$2500 or so a month (usually on top of apartment rental) so if you want a car add that cost in, it can often be more expensive over two years to park than to buy a secondhand car!

ozziegirl 18 yrs ago
Thanks everyone for your replies - they've helped me.

fairlady05 18 yrs ago
wow, i didnt know there is a 100% luxury tax... then why do so many people still buy big luxury cars? there are tons of merz S-classes, Beemers 7 series and maseratis on the roads. i tot they are really cheap... factoring in all the ownership costs - parking at home, at office, taxes (is there road tax?) how much do u have to earn in order to afford the cheapest car?

hmm 18 yrs ago
yes, there is a luxury car tax (first tax) but used vehicles often sell for much cheaper than they might in your home country... many locals in particular don't want to buy used things. Many expats want to sell cars and there are many available. Be wary of used car lots... you can find many here on the autopost in asiaxpat... a good idea is to have the Automobile association check the car out for you...

Brit 18 yrs ago
some new cars can make sense - but not luxury ones! THings like Toyota Picnics are reasonable value new - but in my experirence a 12-18mth old one is hardly run in here so that will save you '000's

conordec 18 yrs ago
ozzie girl,

heres some links, click on here for a heap of car sites.

ozzieboy.

http://hongkong.asiaxpat.com/forums/practical/threads/81278.asp

ozziegirl 18 yrs ago
Thanks to everyone for their input & ozzieboy for the list. All been very helpful. We've lived in Asia for a lot of years so I don't think nervous about the drivers - not where we are now anyhow (but not familiar with HK drivers). The idea of a 4WD was mainly because we have a very large dog but I can see them now to be gas guzzlers & pollute the air even more. We could go for something like a wagon. The models that DrNo suggested would be good. Coming there this weekend to check out a few things. Thanks again guys.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad