milk for toddlers

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by aquagul 18 yrs ago
Hi,

I was wondering if someone could enlighten me on which milk apart from powder milk is better for children. I am confused between full cream milk, fresh milk, pure milk, skimmed milk and UHT milk. My baby has just turned one year old and I would be cooking a lot more with milk for her eg. suji kheer. I just don't know the ideal milk. Also the Asian store offers dairy farm pure milk, harvey and longlife but taking the decision is quite difficult.

Please help! Thanks.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
crj 18 yrs ago
I have read everywhere that it is FULL FAT MILK with Vitamin D for babies 1-2 years old.

Some books seem to say up to 2 years old, others up to 3.

Then after that toddler should drink what rest of family drinks (hopefully reduced fat, 2%, etc..)

Just wait though, Exyogi will jump on this thread and tell you to milk a cow to get only pure real milk for baby... good luck finding that in HK :)

ellie55 18 yrs ago
lol..anyway,does those regular full fat milk selling in park n shop do the trick?for babies and toddlers to drink?

apart from that,what milk do you use for cooking in babies meals?full fat milk or double cream?can we use double cream?is supposed to have highest fat content.

crj 18 yrs ago
keep it simple.

The regular milk from the regular super market.

Full Fat Milk with Vitamin D for drinking and cooking for Toddlers.

The only difference I have read is if it it should be up to 2 yrs or 3 yrs.

Of course, ask your midwife/doctor if you have any concerns.

This is a good summary:

http://pediatrics.about.com/od/milk/i/05_milk_2.htm

aquagul 18 yrs ago
thanks but can you tell me what is the difference in full fat milk and 100% pure milk.

crj 18 yrs ago
I think terminology as to what countly you are from and marketing -but I could be wrong!

crj 18 yrs ago
exyogi

Rather than contiue to suggest to overworked, overtired morhters to set up a cooperative to import milk...

If you think this is such a great product why don't YOU set up a business importing and promoting what you so feverently believe in?

Or reach out to a company like AussieOrganics and suggest it to them, maybe as a partnership.

squiggles 18 yrs ago
don't know about anyone else, but i'm finding this rather amusing....

crj 18 yrs ago
Well Exyogi, since it is sooo easy and you are so passionate about it, why don't you do it? and save the health of all these babies you pretend to care about?

I work full time, breast feed baby #1 and am almost 4 months pregnant with baby #2... so yes, shame on me.

I must be a terrible parent for breastfeeding and making all my own baby food at home, arranging with my company so I can work at home so I can continue to breast feed.. yes, shame on me.

I expressed milk for months every day so I would have a store of breast milk to feed my baby... yes, shame on me.

Why don't you put some action where your typing is. My guess is you are male and have no babies. Maybe this is why!

Wheelymate 18 yrs ago
this is a funny thread because the regulars on this forum would expect exyogi to post something with his links on raw milk...

BUT THAT'S NOT THE POINT! crj, CONGRATULATIONS!!!! take care and rest lots, from all your postings, you are doing a great job!

aquagul: full fat milk not as a drink until at least 1. i assume any of the regular milk you purchase from the supermarkets will do as long as it's not low fat, skimmed, whatever. that's what i plan to do anyway when mine turns 1!

crj 18 yrs ago
The reason this forum is called Moms and Dad is that the people who post are sympathetic of what moms and dads are going through.

They support each other, and do what they can to help, albeit virtually.

Your post, telling mothers we should be ashamed of ourselves for not roaming the HK countryside to find farmers with cows to buy milk from is rude and insulting.

The reason I say you are male and have no children is that you have no idea what type of support a new mother requires to just survive.

I believe I speak for many parents who read this forum who have decided what we will do with an exyogi rant and rave post - IGNORE YOU.

Mrs Miggins 18 yrs ago
exyogi

Questioning peoples parenting skills on this forum is very unfair. Just because someone does not have a Jersey cow fed on organic produce, kept in an oxygen tent and milked every morning to give to the baby, whilst keeping hold of the cows poop to fertilise the organic produce on the other side of the lawn does not make them a poor parent.

I think that you are a really smart, well informed person and the links and information you have provided in this and other threads is very useful. However, please also try to see that there are other points of view and other ways to climb a mountain. A lot of the people on this board are a long way from home and have little help. From the threads I have seen about organic produce, home cooking and development I can see that a lot of us are all doing a good job of bringing up our kids.

I know quite a few people with kids and quite frankly in my experience it is those parents who are over anxious, analyse every little thing and stress over every minute detail who are the ones whose kids come off the worse for it.

Mrs Miggins 18 yrs ago
Quite frankly I would never drink anything that came out of a HK cow whether treated or untreated but that's a whole other thread.

hkchoichoi 18 yrs ago
thanks to Cara and CRJ for voicing the opinions that I also do share to Exyogi. Both of you were expressing the VERY THING that I feel - but I am too exhausted to have to argue with someone I couldn't care two cents about. I'd rather spend my time sharing experiences with people who are willing to listen to some hard learned advice.

Exyogi, I personally found your response to CRJ offensive, belligerent and totally unwarranted. She did not attack you but your "response" to her was unwarranted and offensive, even to someone who is just reading this thread.

Eyogi, to TRULY be a caring individual on this forum, and if you really do believe in the benefits of this raw milk - help the people who are actually wondering about raw milk (those who are willing to try it) find a source in HK. Find the farmer who has clean cows who is willing to deliver it and TELL people WHERE to get it instead of telling moms to go and find it. Or, as CRJ suggested, get a company to actually bring it to HK and get it to the people who may be interested in it.

I am with Mrs. Miggins - i'm not drinking any milk from a HK cow raw or pastuerized, but that is my own personal preference.

Good luck to you Exyogi finding that source out for the mothers who are willing to try it for their children.

Wheelymate 18 yrs ago
aquagul: sorry we are hijacking your thread.

exyogi: i am not going to repeat what mums like HKCC, cara, crj, mrs m, etc have said. after my exchange with you on a previous thread with cara, i have learnt that the best option is to ignore you. BUT having said that, i think you have crossed the line with your comments to crj. how can she be a bad mum just because she doesn't agree with raw milk and all? motherhood is alot more than that - it's a 24 hour job that sometimes tests a person's sanity. perhaps you should ask your missus to read your posts and see how she feels that you have taken another mum to task just because she doesn't agree with raw milk

maybe (and this is a big maybe), all your theories about raw milk, food and vaccinations will be true someday and everyone here will have to eat their words. but for now, i think you should let us mums do our job - taking care of our little ones in the best way we can.

goodnight!

aquagul 18 yrs ago
no problem wheelymate. I am trying to read in between the lines and make most use of the info. However here comes one more question from an amateur. When you talk of raw milk. I guess one would have to boil it, remove the cream and then give the baby. Am I right?? No need to dilute.

gherron 18 yrs ago

This guy is the reason people don't like healthfood freaks. KEEP IT SIMPLE!

I am all for making mums feel comforatble and able to make good decisions without feeling guilty.

We have enough reasons for that anyway that add up over the years.

It's all very pretentious and self absorbed to spend so much time consumed with one small aspect of a childs life, what milk they drink. There is so much more to focus on in life thank goodness.

And yes that guy should just DO IT if it matters so much.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad