put baby sleeping in toilet

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by ellie55 18 yrs ago
Put Baby to sleep in hotel bathroom?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi

Just wondering if anyone does the same as me? When we stay in a hotel we tend to put our wee man's cot in the bathroom. It's dark in there and he wont get interrupted by us watching TV and eating room service (or the babysitter!).

At the weekend, we had a little trouble as the cot that the hotel had provided wouldn't fit into the bathroom...I went into immediate panic and got housekeeping to find me a smaller one. The poor guy that brough it must have thought I was totally bonkers when I asked him to put it in the bathroom!!!

Just wondering If I'm alone in this oddity, and what others do when sleeping in hotels?

**************************************************************************************************

(((i found this in another parenting forum)))

just wondering how does the expats in this feels about it.-ellie 55.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
crj 18 yrs ago
One friend had the baby in the main room while she and hubby ate dinner in the bathroom - it was so huge and the toilet was in a smaller separate room she said it was not at all disgusting - it even had two soft armchairs in there!

When you travel to a hotel, you do the best you can for baby and for you.

We had our baby in the entryway of a hotel room - if anyone opened the door fast it would have hit the cot. But it was the darkest quietest spot.

I don't think this is that odd, after all some hotel bathrooms today are as big as the main area. And the toilets are often behind another door so it is not like they are sleeping next to a toilet.

You do what you can to ensure everyone has some sleep :)

oj 18 yrs ago
No did exactly the same, we had to share a room at The Ritz in Singapore (which just has the most sexy and glorious bathrooms in the world) anyway there was myself, my husband, 3 year old daughter and 11 month old at the time.

So the 11 month old would be wheeled into the bathroom and the 3 year old had a blanket over her head whilst we watched t.v.

Just do what works, mine have even slept in a hotel closet before.

Wheelymate 18 yrs ago
this is a hilarious thread!

we will be having a long weekend at a hotel and i have been thinking about where to put baby to sleep! the room has a big patio where hubby and i can lounge around when baby is napping. but for bedtime, i have been thinking about putting him in the entry way like crj.

i personlly think with the size of hotel bathrooms these days, there is no issue with baby sleeping in there BUT

WHERE WILL HUBBY AND I PEE???? HAHAHAHAHAHAAHHA

Katetam 18 yrs ago
This is funny ! I never heard of putting the baby in the bathroom to sleep.... how about all the awful smells, and sounds, and humidity after a shower.... I can't imagine doing that.

Anyways, our family believes that we should not have to tip toes, or hush hush when the baby is sleeping, everything goes on normal, the baby just learns to adjust. If you always keep hush hush, silence, or really really quiet to get the baby to sleep, or stay asleep, then your baby gets trained that way, your baby gets really sensitive with sounds and gets waken easily.

My second one was like that, now, he learned to sleep with lights on, the tv is on, and when my husband is playing and laughing with my elder one... during travelling.

oj 18 yrs ago
Believe me, we do not pussy foot around when our kids sleep, but when on holiday it can be hard getting bubba to sleep whilst the tv is on, etc....so in the bathroom or closet they go until they are asleep and then out they come, and yes the tv is on. Works a treat

cd 18 yrs ago
You could always turn the TV off while they're going to sleep, and turn it back on once they're asleep.

oj 18 yrs ago
Nah, that's working around the baby and i don't believe in that. Babies should fit into their parents routine and not necessarily the other way round.

Probably opening a can of worms by saying that, but that is what i have done with my kids and i look around at other people who have pandered to their kids every whim and mine are so much more independant, they don't need entertaining all the time, they can make decision for themselves, etc.....so in my case it worked. I always remember a doctor telling me 'as a parent your the boss, not the other way round'. If only some parents realised that!

cd 18 yrs ago
To OJ, its not working around the kids or pandering to them. I take it that most babies don't have a TV in their rooms, so are used to going to sleep without the TV blaring 10 feet away from their cots. If they;re used to falling asleep in the lounge at home with the TV and lights on, then fine do the same in the hotel.

:-)) 18 yrs ago
Wheelymate, we tried the balcony/patio thing and it doesn't work in tropical places with mosquitoes around... we soon got chased back indoors.

We ended up giving toddler a later nap than normal, taking her out for dinner with us, then all going to bed at the same time (sometimes with small reading light)... not the relaxing evenings with my husband that we had hoped for, but I was pregnant and exhausted from walking around sights of Ankor Wat in 40C heat!

Another idea is to book places which have some kind of villa arrangement, serviced apartment with a separate living/sleeping area - or ask upon check-in how much an upgrade to a suite would cost. You never know, they might be empty and you could get yourself a bargain! Or a small hotel where baby monitor will stretch to the bar...

ellie55 18 yrs ago
i know nowadays they have baby services/or nanny services in countries like malaysian resorts..but i dont think im taking up any.one of my friend did,she just left the children to someone taking care,in the end she did had a wonderful holiday.

gherron 18 yrs ago
Yep alwasy put the baby in the bathroom....works until you have two babies and suddenly you spend a lot less nights in one bedroom hotels that's for sure!!

gherron 18 yrs ago
Just laughed about the peeing thing......we used the toilet and baby never woke he's a deep sleeper.

Also we have used a baby monitor in a hotel before too which worked to get a break downstairs for a bit.

Team NZ 18 yrs ago
...a friend of mine puts her kids to sleep in the bath (without water lol)....she swears by it!

gherron 18 yrs ago
Hi cara,

Once he's asleep he's out for the night. But getting him to sleep in a strange place was another issue. And besides honestly I'm not used to sharing my bedroom with my children. Love to all those that do, but I like to hang with my hubby alone at night.

Hi Team NZ...I think us kiwis are just more pragmatic and practical about these things....our parents raise us that way in Nz or something. You do what works and who cares what people think.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad