Helper's Birthday

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by sam i am 18 yrs ago
What sort of birthday presents do employers give their helpers? If in laisee (money) how much? Any ideas much appreciated!

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
tigger64 18 yrs ago
The trouble with money is that they often send it home. I give mine money at Chinese NY, but gifts for birthday and christmas. Last birthday I gave a selection of beauty products - facial moisteriser, body moisteriser, hand cream, shower gel etc. I think she really liked having something a bit luxury that she would not buy for herslf.

crj 18 yrs ago
We give 500 HKD Christmas, 500 HKD CNY, 500 HKD Birthday. For birthday we are always sure to include a nice card where you personally write something - that is a great gift for a helper.

Thames 18 yrs ago
I think I remember a good thread with plenty of info and advice re gifts for helpers on the Domestic Helpers forum.

AYM 18 yrs ago
I'm surprised how generous .Mango. is. Just wondering who else out there pay their helper one month's salary on her birthday?

Wiz Bang 18 yrs ago
never heard of a bday laisee...

why not just bring her to a nice restaurant with a few of her friends for a meal treat (cinta?)

AYM 18 yrs ago
Thanks, raincatcher for clarifying. I was reading too quickly what .Mango. wrote. But still, I'd really like to know who else out there pay their helper one month's salary on her birthday?

Katetam 18 yrs ago
this is crazy! I can't believe anyone would give a helper "1 month salary" as a birthday lai see. I give my helper a lai see of $ 300, plus a birthday cake, and if I have time, a small present like a watch, or necklace. Depending how long the helper has been with you.

What does one give to the helper year after year after 3 years or something.... 2 months salary?

I give my helper a bonus of 1 month salary after each contract has been completed. I hope my helper NEVER talks to any helpers who gets THIS much for a birthday !?!?!?

Wiz Bang 18 yrs ago
yup. birthdays are treated like how you would treat family or friend's birthdays. it up to your discretion, and it non-obligatory.

do staff get bonuses or laisee during their birthdays at their regular workplace?

cd 18 yrs ago
I do know people who give bonuses of a months salary at CNY, not sure about birthdays. We give either cash or gifts to the value of about $300. I agree that we shouldn't have to spend more than we would on friends or family. We usually give smellies,and a couple of tops or something from Bossini for xmas. The triublw with cash is they normally send it straight home, whereas with a gift its nice they get something to unwrap. We don't give anything for CNY as its not something we celebrate, nor does my helper. My husband doesn't get CNY bonus or birthday presents from his boss, I really don't feel its right or neccessary to give several thousand.

sam i am 18 yrs ago
Thanks all for your replies. Tomorrow is her birthday, and I have decided to bake her a birthday cake, along with a small gift.

I also wish I receive a month's salary from my boss for my birthday present. Even HK$1,000 will do!

Happy belated birthday raincatcher!

Wiz Bang 18 yrs ago
i'd like to be mango's friend even domestic helper.... :D.... i could do with a really fat bonus!

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad