Organic Baby Food in Jars - ok?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by asking 18 yrs ago
What do we think of feeding baby organic jarred food?

Does anyone feed only this or is everyone making homemade food?

Ive popped a few jars and felt this enormous sense of guilt!!

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Wheelymate 18 yrs ago
You do what makes you and your child happy, no need to feel guilty.

I have not fed jars yet but only because my intention is to do as much homecooked foods as possible and some books say feeding jars will turn babies off homecooked foods. Not sure how true although I'm sure we'll find out eventually, especially when we go away for holidays!

crj 18 yrs ago
Feel guilty if you give your baby soda in their bottle and sugar foods and salted foods.

Don't feel guilty for giving your baby expensive organic baby food, that is great!

Many of us do homemade b/c it is cheaper - you just need to do what works for you.

The ingredients are exactly the same :)

No way to feel guilty about that.

I remember another thread where they fed baby only homemade food, but then when they travelled baby didn't like the jarred food and it caused problems, so it is good to do both probably :)

Wheelymate 18 yrs ago
asking, i was thinking,

if you make your baby food, do you make it in batches? because once you do, you'll find that it's just as convenient as jar food. just thaw it, place in bowl and feed! and agree with crj, definitely cheaper homemade!

i have a friend who feeds her baby one jar a week at least...she says she wants him to get used to the taste for holidays and all...

Meiguoren 18 yrs ago
I used to cook, then freeze in an ice cube tray, store in freezer bags and thaw just enough for each use. Make sure to cook healthy food though! It won't do much good to give home cooked food if it is full of sugar and salt etc!

Katetam 18 yrs ago
Oh please.... don't feel guilty about feeding your baby jarred baby food. First of all, they are expensive, and they are vaccumed, and they are great tasting (baby food comparison wise). My baby eats at least 1 jar a day.... in addition to cereals for lunch, and congee for dinner. He LOVES the desserts.... but he also likes the applesauce, sweet potatoes, fruit medley, apples and bananas...etc.

He's a big, strong, and healthy boy !!! ( he eats 4-5 eight oz bottle of milk too).

The baby food is sometimes better than congee (I think).... it's much more nutritious, and going out is so much easier when the baby is willing to eat them. I think anything beats NOT eating. My baby only likes fresh sweet potatoes, potatoes, chicken congee, and boiled carrots. He doesn't like the taste of REAL bananas and real apples. He prefers the jarred one... b/c it's more smooth I guess.

asking 18 yrs ago
There are a few orgranic brands - Earths best, Hipp Healthy Times. I think that there is a lot of organic choice here now.

You can also arrange to get your fresh fruit and veggies delivered by Organic food cos like Aussie Orgranics.

The local supermarket - Parknshop also have a line of organic produce.

montana1 18 yrs ago
You can get the Swiss brand HOLLE through www.kinderkinder.com.hk Very popular brand in Europe. They also deliver.

Matilda 18 yrs ago
It's convenient for the busy parents to feed their kids baby food. Homefood is good as variety of choice can be given, but it's important to have good hygiene practice.

Adult may feel the taste of baby food poor but actually it's due to absence of seasoning. No seasoning should be added to food for infant under 1 year old.

Dietician - 2849 0721

Matilda International Hospital

Hong Kong

http://www.matilda.org

HK2 18 yrs ago
i give my baby (now 10 months old) both fresh and jarred food. I carry Hipp Organic bottled meals when we are out of the house for many hours - as it's convenient (no need to heat) and safe (only needs refrigeration after opening) to feed. She eats them just as well as she does homefood.

RiceT 18 yrs ago
we give jarred food occasionally so that babe will not be offended/surprised by it should we have to carry it while traveling AND sometimes we use it to balance out meals, like if we don't have apples or pears, etc., to whip up for the day's meals.

we have organic brands: healthy times, hipp, and one other i can't remember at the moment.

Perthites 18 yrs ago
Some of the jarred food has nothing added, say like sweet vegies is just swwet pot, sweetcorn and water not different to what you'd do at home. I don't buy any of the jarred foods that have anything added but thats what i feel comfortable with. Jarred fruit is great for when the fresh fruit is not in season. As stated before just do what you feel comfortable with and what makes you and baby happy.

Wheelymate 18 yrs ago
fed baby jar food this long weekend while staying in a hotel in between house moving. had to feed jar food. we tried the various organic brands.my verdict:

personally, they don't smell great and taste very far off from the real thing...butternut squash, carrots, whatever it is...they all taste pretty much the same BUT

baby liked it so at least i know he won't starve if we went away again and need to feed from jars.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad