no maintenance from ex

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by dynasty 18 yrs ago
As a recently divorced mum of two, my ex has been falling behind with his maintenance payments. He is self-employed and has a very unstable income. The problem is I'm uncertain as to whether he can't pay or won't pay. Is taking him to court the only option I have? Would appreciate any advice or suggestions!

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
TC 18 yrs ago
Perhaps a solicitor's letter would be a better first option (assuming you are not on talking terms - else that would be best). Any court action might (I'm not an expert in this field) need to be taken in the country where the maintenance order was given - and if that isn't HK then there are other hassles to face. Good luck.

associates 18 yrs ago
There are several options including an urgent court application. What is your husband's reaction to your concerns about the maintenance; does he offer any suggestions? Has there been a division of matrimonial assets? Does the husband's business have a "value"?

We would be pleased to discuss the matter in person should you wish to contact our office; ask for Ms. Elaine Kan.

Weir & Associates

Tel: 852 2526 1767

Fax: 852 2868 3568

http://www.HongKongLaw.com/weirlaw

Room 2108, Gloucester Tower,

The Landmark, 11 Pedder Street, Central, Hong Kong

aleeaaa 18 yrs ago
Can't imagine a woman would do this to her own kids, if she's in the man's situation (i.e., having to pay for the kids' living)!! Why are men such b*****ds??!!!

TC 18 yrs ago
That's a bit rough when we don't know the facts.

throbbing 18 yrs ago
aleeaaa,

As TC says we do not know the details/facts so we are not in a position to judge.

FYI I know a guy who has custody of his kids (after his wife ran away to live with her boyfriend) and he gets zero financial income/support from her so your assumption of human behaviour towards maintenance payments based on the sex of a person is wrong!

dynasty 18 yrs ago
Thanks for all your replies. Divorce proceedings started last year after discovering he had another woman and was officially finalized earlier this year. He did not fight for the kids or the flat but at the end of the day, there is still a mortgage to pay and general household outgoings which I can't manage on my own. The flat is on the market but yet to receive an offer. I'm digging into my savings to cover our monthly expenses and in doing so, am starting to feel very vulnerable.

markbrewer 10 yrs ago
Any ideas what the situation is when the couple were not married. I pay generously but the mother of my daughter still wants more!

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad