Trip with my granddaughter of 5

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Joycie 18 yrs ago
In the eind of october I will be in Hongkong to visit my daughter and her family. I promised my granddaughter of 5 to "discover the world" with her, we will spend same days en night together in the neighbourhood of HK. Does anyone have any suggestions for that trip (train, bus, boat, hotel)

It must be fun for my granddaughter. She can swim like a fish, so there must be water involved.

I am from Holland.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Meiguoren 18 yrs ago
First question, do you speak Chinese? In my opinion, travel suggestions are different if you do.

Joycie 18 yrs ago
No. I don't speak Chinese

mrsl 18 yrs ago
Are you thinking along the lines of something like Ocean Park or HK Disneyland? Can take bus or train to Disney. Could take her to one of the beaches (South Bay, Shek O etc.), although I do not take my children into the water. Does she have a pool at her complex/club? There are some nice (downhill) walks that a 5 year old would happily do, spot turtles, carp etc. You could take the ferry over to Lamma Island and have lunch on the beach there. Depending on how much money you want to spend, you could take the Star Ferry to Kowloon and then a helicopter sightseeing trip around the islands. Will keep thinking.

Joycie 18 yrs ago
Dear mrsl

Thank you for your tips. The helicopter sounds fantastic.Are there hotels on Lamma Island or Kowloon? We will stay some nights as well.

Joyce

mrsl 18 yrs ago
There are countless hotels on Kowloon, the most famous being the Peninsula (it is a VERY short ferry ride; just a few minutes). Not sure about Lamma though. I am assuming (possibly incorrectly) that your daughter lives on HK Island. Unless she wants to stay in a hotel, just for the sake of it, it is not necessary to stay in either Kowloon or Lamma (both a easily done in a few hours).

If you want to do an overnight, you might think about taking the hydrofoil to Macau instead (or you could do the helucopter one-way). The Westin is out of town, but probably the best hotel for children, with the best pool etc. (I have not stayed there myself, but have heard good things from families who have don - you could search on this forum. The Disney hotels have special offer on at the moment too.

A trip to Sai Kung country Park would be nice for her too. Could bring a picnic etc. As would the cable car to the Big Buddha (www.np360.com.hk). BTW, the following websites give you some idea about helicopter tours; www.helihongkong.com and www.heliservices.com.hk. Hope this helps.

ness 18 yrs ago
If you really want to discover the world with her how about taking her on a short break to Guilin which is in Mainland China but just a short flight from hong kong. They have the most amazing children's acrobatic show when I went there and it is a town set around a series of lakes and rivers with canal boats (like holland!) and you can do a night time tour around with all the lights on and they take the boat up in a lock etc. There are lots of other things to do there like taking a river boat for a day up to Yangshou... see the dragon air website for package deals and when my father and I went we had a personal tour guide who took us around including going into a small local village to meet the local kids. you can pm me (send personal message if you want to see photos etc) http://www.kaholidays.com/kah/hk/showTour.jsp

I am just thinking that if she lives here in HK then she may have already done many of the things available to do on the island like disney and the beaches. Otherwise there is a fabulous book by a lady called Cindy Stephens Miller called Hong Kong for Kids which you can use to get around to all of the museums, beaches, bike riding, outer islands, craft outings etc.

Joycie 18 yrs ago
Dear Ness

How do I send you a personal message. I would love to see the photo's.

Thanks anyhow for the tips. It looks good.

Joyce

Meiguoren 18 yrs ago
Ness, the Guilin experience sounds really intriguing, but might the Guilin trip be a bit much (tedious) for a five year old? What time does she go to bed at night? And the three hour boat ride to Yangshuo, it really seems like something an adult would enjoy more, to me? I have a six year old, and she prefers activities rather than sightseeing -- like zoos, beaches, slides at a pool, and childrens rides. In the spring my family stayed at Gold Coast Resort in the New Territory -- it has a great children's pool and slide, as well as a beach adjacent. Also has a room with air hockey, billiards, snooker, children's area, etc. As well as, one of the best breakfast buffets I've seen in Hong Kong. My 6 year old loved the whole place. She would have loved it better if she had taken a friend her age to play with. Plus, if she were to have a meltdown wanting mommy, it wouldn't be too far to go home. A second idea is the Chime Long Hotel, a 5 star Safari themed resort in Panyu (mainland). Would require a China visa, but Chime Long adjoins a Night Zoo, has a nightly circus, also has a daytime safari park. And inside the hotel the White Tiger restaurant has white tigers inside a glass enclosure. The hotel also has an enormous swimming pool, bowling alley, movie theater, children's play area. A lot of Hong Kong people come up there on tours for weekend breaks.

Meiguoren 18 yrs ago
As I think about it, my thought as an expat mom is that the most important thing you can give your granddaughter is your time: time together, time talking, time playing. The Chime Long has a lot of activities that would interest a child but allow you to be in relationship (e.g. a game of bowling, swimming, visiting the zoo, visiting the night circus, etc). It's also very exotic (the greeters are in Polynesian type costumes), has good restaurants, the staff speaks passable English and is very attentive, and probably some room discounts are available. That would be my vote. I know they have a web site, but when I searched google, it's buried in all the commercial hotel reservation sites. But here is a webshots photo album I found from a family's vacation there: http://community.webshots.com/album/552710696iaQkmg

Meiguoren 18 yrs ago
bumping this back up

Joycie 18 yrs ago
I had a different question now, about the chinese holidays. I mistook the dates. Thank you so mauch for your information Meiquoren, I will print everything and bring it with me to HK. From there I will decide.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad