gerber single grain baby rice

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Wheelymate 18 yrs ago
has anyone tried the above on their babies and at what age?

in sg, we have quite limited single grain baby rice options - i started him on nestle this week but i find that very sweet.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
hkchoichoi 18 yrs ago
i used it with my first, and on Saturday I will use it with my second. My first didn't get the organic version, but I managed to get the organic version for my daughter on my last trip to the US.

Wheelymate 18 yrs ago
how did your first find it? my problem with nestle is that it is too sweet so i want to know if gerber's more bland?

they don't have the organic version, i only bought the normal one.

we visit UK soon and they seem to have a few baby organic rice options that i will try and stock up if any good.

hkcc: some boxes say "whole grains", some say "single grain"...is there a difference in meaning?

hkchoichoi 18 yrs ago
does Nestle have anything added to it? Generally rice is sort of "sweet" as it is a simple starch. Check the label - there shouldn't be any added sugar in it. (although they ad a whole lot of other stuff.)

My understanding of whole grain is that the entire rice (so technically brown) is used vs. a processing which makes the rice white and therefore not the "whole grain."

Single grain would appear to mean that it's only ONE TYPE of grain used - not necessarily meaning it's whole grain. I've seen cereal mixes which have barley and brown rice together - and that wouldn't qualify as single grain as there is more than one type.

That's my interpretation. I've jsut looked on the labels of the Rice creal that I pikced up from the US. I have Gerber Organic Whole Grain Rice cereal, Earth's Best Organic Whole Grain rice Cereal, Gerber Organic Whole Grain Oatmeal And Beechnut Naturals Barley Cereal for Baby. I noteiced thet the Hwole Grain Rice cereals all list Brown Rice as the first ingreident ad so I didn't get the plain rice cereal. SIGH....

Wheelymate 18 yrs ago
you must have had a special suitcase just for the cereals!!

i called my bub's PD and asked about Gerber Single Grain Baby Rice Cereal. She said I can try it and other brands, whatever makes the bub happy. And only move on to brown rice if baby tolerates plain rice. i have the same understanding about whole grain and single grain too. i think whole grain is what my PD advised against feeding baby first and wait for a few months.

nestle has *gasp* sucrose and vanillin in it, all stuff that babies should avoid i understand??? gerber's one seems to have no added sugars (doesn't mean zero sugar though) but hey, at least i am trying my best!

you are starting your second one on solids this weekend?

hkchoichoi 18 yrs ago
i've never seen nestle (I buy Rice Cereal when I go abroad to either HK or the US) and so I have never looked at the labels. But all the ones that I buy do not have sucrose or anything else in it.

alternatively, if you are really worried about this, you could make your own rice cereal at home - the only thing you would have to worry about is the Iron intake. If you have access to enfamil vitamin drops with Iron, it won't be a big deal at all and you can just give it to your baby through that resource and avoid the whole problem with the rice cereal. Just make Jook - puree it, and you can refrigerate small portions for up to three days. Mix it with your breastmilk and voila - rice cereal. (no added stuff either.)

Wheelymate 18 yrs ago
i am not worried about using commercial brands, just worried about brands that are (maybe) not as healthy as others. like i said, we go to UK soon and have seen some organic baby rice from the major supermarkets so will try them.

we are on poly-visol vitamin drops for a month now and they contain iron...pd prescribed them as due to bub's low milk intake.

hkchoichoi 18 yrs ago
if you are doing the vitamin drops - then you could make it at home. Not that hard - I just don't do it right now for convenience sake, but it's not that difficult - a lot of rice cookers can make it for you and you just have to puree it.

You'll figure it out - it's fun feeding them eh? I start tomorrow. Getting the video camera and all that stuff ready.

Wheelymate 18 yrs ago
definitely more fun with a spoon than bottle, he gets so excited when i start stirring in front of him!

hkchoichoi 18 yrs ago
I just checked expiration on my cereal for you

it. The ones I bought in the US this July last until next August. (about a year.) BUt if a box is open you should try and eat it ASAP.

hkchoichoi 18 yrs ago
depends on how much they are eating and how often. My first box lasted about two and a half weeks. I probably could have gotten it to go a month but my older one also had to eat with her baby sister. So I used about twice as much. This is with the baby starting out with initially one meal a day and then working up to two. Right now she still only takes rice once a day and is taking other food at her other meal but I occasionally mix it up with other things. I'd say a month.

Wheelymate 18 yrs ago
i'm back! but we are all suffering from jet lag, bub only went to bed at 4am yesterday....urghhhhh customs in uk wasn't too bad although my hubby had to taste all the milk powder and water.

stb: bought organix baby rice from sainsbury's in UK, bub took well to it so took a few boxes back. and when i went to the organic grocer's near my house yesterday, they now stock this aussie brand of organic baby rice called bellamy's. so i guess i have more choices now.

brown rice cereal: i am still confused about this too. was told by pd and some books write not to feed bub whole grain brown rice cereal too early as their guts can't take it. will check again with pd when i take bub for shots tomorrow!

Wheelymate 18 yrs ago
asked her about other cereals besides white rice because i wanted to try bub on the new organic oatmeal porridge i bought. she said if he's been ok with white rice, can try other stuff BUT to ensure that it's the only new food for the day because grains are more likely to cause allergies (due to gluten i think) than vegetables...

but still, i waited until this week (about 6.5months, according to the box to try after baby is 6 months). today is the 2nd day, mixed with up with bananas...think he liked it but very messy!!

would advise you to check with your bub's PD before proceeding. different docs give different advice! also depends on when you introduce solids to your kid - would think if doing it before 6 months, it's better to be more conservative and start off with white baby rice cereal. as i mentioned, you should check with your baby's PD for advice. e.g. some of my friends started their 6 month old right away on brown rice cereal although i was too cautious to do that and stuck to my PD's advice to start off with white rice first (because he was weaned at 5 months)...so there you go!

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad