Massive spiders in my house ...

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by jem 14 yrs ago
Have seen about three or four really big spiders in my house recently - big hairy (ish) spiders with spiny legs. (Very different to the big 'banana spiders' in the hills).

Any ideas how to get rid of these would be most appreciated!

(as big as my six year-old daughter's hand - dark brown in colour)

Shudder!

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Riceman 14 yrs ago
if it was me I'd use a flip-flop or fly swot on them and then flush them down the wc when I'm done.

axptguy38 14 yrs ago
It is also worth noting that spiders eat the more annoying critters like flies and mosquitoes. ;)

Riceman 14 yrs ago
that's what my parents used to say that they eat critters but honestly, if there was a spider in the corner of a room and a was mosquito buzzing around annoying the hell out of you at the other end, what are the chances of the spider having a nice little snack before you swotted it?

axptguy38 14 yrs ago
Riceman, of course they won't catch EVERY bug. ;)

Anyway that's why I never kill lizards or spiders in the house. They're nice to have around. I might chase a spider away if it is right there in front of me, but typically they stay out of sight or out of the way.

Cucaracha 14 yrs ago
I agree with all those wishing to take a non-violent approach to spiders. As long as you are able to determine that it is no danger to you, either let it be or gently show it how to safely get outside.

Just a few hours ago I rescued a baby lizard inside my flat. I would have loved to have had it stay, but I have a cat that would have certainly taken a violent approach, so I was basically saving its life by gently placing it on the wall outside my kitchen window. I wish I could have kept him inside ;(

Wiz Bang 14 yrs ago
Anyway that's why I never kill lizards or spiders in the house. They're nice to have

TRUE but do leave a lot of poo around the house too and that drives me bananas.

here's a cheapo alternative to getting rid of lizards - get a big plastic bag and roll it down halfway. put a strip of strong packing tape, adhesive tape up. put about 1-2 strips (depends on how wide the plastic bag is)... then put some strong smelling food like bacon in the middle of the adhesive. position bag under cabinets and where you suspect the lizard may be hiding and never in the open where everyone could see. lizards hide therefore they won't come to check out the trap if it is out in the open. check the trap after a day or two.

works for me everytime.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad