Sit-N-Stroll Car Seat

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Slammy 14 yrs ago
Hello,

I just posted a WANTED ad for a sit-n-stroll car seat for airplane usage.

Just wanted to hear people's reviews of the sit-n-stroll...

1. Any bad points? Heavy to cart around?

2. Is it any good to use as a stroller, or you advise still taking a stroller on vacation?

Thanks! Oh, and if anyone has one they want to sell, please feel free to contact me! :-)

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
axptguy38 14 yrs ago
I've flown a few times with the little ones and without one of these. I'd say that the sit-n-stroll is a neat idea but you won't use it for that long unless you have many kids and/or fly several times a year.

Another stroller, more adapted to streets (the sit-n-stroll seems very "flat floor" optimized) is probably better. A nice cushion makes airplane seats pretty ok for the kids. I mean, they're only there a limited period of time. You'll spend far more time pushing the stroller around in the "real world".

Just my $0.02.

Starbucks2 14 yrs ago
We have one and they are good. To answer your specific questions:

1. Yes they are heavy to carry around once your baby gets bigger. For us, it was more the struggle of lifting it in and out of cabs. We no longer use it for our 21 month old as he is too heavy in it. You could unstrap them and lift it in empty and then put them in it but that all takes more time. No other bad points really - the wheels are plastic so are a bit wobbly.

2. It is great as a convertible car seat but not that good as a a substitute for a proper stroller. If it is for short amounts of strollering on flat smooth surfaces then its fine. If there are bumps or lots of uneven ground then the plastic wheels do struggle a bit. Also it is low to the ground.

Definitely recommend it for the purpose we bought it for - for using in cabs in HK and the short to-ing and fro-ing in places where the pavement is smooth.

And sorry - not ready to sell ours as will use for baby No.2!

SB2

Starbucks2 14 yrs ago
And another point on flights - you might want to check that the airline you fly with generally still allows car seats. Some of the airlines have reconfigured their seats and have airbags in the seat belt strap (eg: Cathay's Airbus planes) so you can no longer use car seats on these flights. Worth checking if that is primarily why you want to buy a sit n stroll.

We found it great for the flights with our wriggly toddler. If your baby is under 2 years and you want to use a car seat then you'll have to buy a seat for them.

Slammy 14 yrs ago
Hhhhmm, that's an interesting point about the CX airbus flights, as we usually travel CX.

Another question: with a 17-month-old on a 12-hour overnight flight... we've booked an extra seat for the baby. Will she be fine sleeping in her seat, without the car seat?

The other reason I thought of getting the sit-n-stroll is so we can use it at the other end, instead of hiring a car seat. But now I'm wondering whether to forget about the sit-n-stroll, and just hire a car seat at the other end...?

axptguy38 14 yrs ago
"Another question: with a 17-month-old on a 12-hour overnight flight... we've booked an extra seat for the baby. Will she be fine sleeping in her seat, without the car seat?"

Very much depends on your child. There is certainly enough space. With us, one sleeps like the proverbial baby wherever. The other fusses, even in her own bed.

Slammy 14 yrs ago
Yes, I'm now thinking not to bother with it, especially as the sit-n-stroll is one inch wider than the Air NZ seats. And it is big to lug around. Might as well just hire a car seat at the other end...

Starbucks2 14 yrs ago
The last flight we took was on a CX airbus and we couldn't take the sit n stroll. We had a NIGHTMARE flight! But it does depend on the particular child. Our 20 month old could not get comfortable even though he had his own seat. Wanted to sit up all the time and wriggling around. He was comfortable in the sit n stroll and we put a pillow under his head so although he was sitting up, he was comfortable leaning to the side on a pillow. It is never 12 hours in the car seat either unless you are VERY lucky to have a toddler sleep for 12 hours on a plane. You need to get them up to change them and feed them and give them milk etc.

If you don't use a car seat (and agree that with the changes to a lot of the airlines now - it makes it difficult) but do buy a seat for your child, would recommend that you do the seat belt up really tight on the seat the child is in (so it lies flat against the back of the seat) and then use a child restraint seatbelt to keep them from rolling off the seat. The airbag seat belts that are fitted to the plane are bulky and dig into them and makes them uncomfortable. If you do that one up really tight and use the child seatbelt instead then it won't bug them so much. Also, we tuck blankets over the back of the seat and into the tray table so when they randomly turn on the lights with no warning, it is still dark for them sleeping.

Good luck - long haul flights with kids are NOT fun!

SB2

axptguy38 14 yrs ago
Agreed with cara. In this case I'd skip the airbag.

It is also worth noting that unlike in cars, seatbelts in aircraft are not primarily there for impacts. They are mainly there to keep you in your seat during severe turbulence. So as long as your kid is restrained and won't fly around in sudden turbulence, you're fine.

Sure, there COULD be an impact severe enough to throw your child into the seat in front, just as in a frontal collision with a car, but such are exceedingly rare. Not really something to stay up at night about.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad