Increase in rent ... crazy.

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by doggy 11 yrs ago
I have been in Hong Kong for 4 years, in the same floor of a 360 sq.ft village house near Sai Kung town. When I first signed the rental agreement it was $5000. Two years later, $6800. Today he's called and he wants $10,000.

I don't get it, I never call him, no pets, don't smoke, the rent goes through direct debit every month.

Got no choice but to leave, gutted. Is there any bargaining? Sorry, I have never looked around, this place just fell into my lap on my first day of being in HK.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
HKLEV 11 yrs ago
Bargaining is often part of the lease renewal game.....sounds like a very high opening gambit....

Shoe Girl 11 yrs ago
Definitely bargain. Go lower than what you would like to pay, then when he refuses, you can up the offer and hopefully meet him halfway. In HK everyone expects to negotiate on rent, landlords and tenants. Good luck.

doggy 11 yrs ago
Nope. Not willing to do any bargaining. He will 'go down' to $9800. Apparently, my landlord is not actually the owner, it turns out his brother is and he has lived in Canada for 20+ years (but, still an indigenous villager) and not set foot in HK for years. Apparently, he sees that the rent has been too low for many years and is putting it up to claim back money that he feels he is owed.

woods99 11 yrs ago

A tenant who is not willing to bargain will end up paying too much. Simple.

Swallow your pride, my friend, and start doing what every tenant has to do. Haggle.

linnalin 11 yrs ago
The landlord saves the agent fees, will not suffer loss of rent while apartment vacant, does not need to renovate, and has previously received rent payment in time so the likelihood is that will receive rent in time in the future too, and there has been no complaints from neighbors about noise etc, apartment has been maintained in good condition... Those should count too for bargaining.

doggy 11 yrs ago
Well, finally agreed to $9500.

I looked around and was astonished. This is slightly over the going rate for my place (I could go for a middle floor in a built up village away from SK town for less, but as a single gal that doesn't drive, that's not really appealing), but it would seem that it's not too crazy (as posted last week).

Really feeling the pinch over the past two years, best I keep those beers in Steamers a miss. A few quiet nights in won't do me any harm.

woods99 11 yrs ago

Sounds like a happy ending, sort of. I suppose it is also worth remembering when thinking is that there is a pretty big cost in moving house. Financial, and in other ways, too. If you are happy where you are, believe me, that is worth a few hundred (maybe a few thousand) a month!!!

Kevy 11 yrs ago
Wow there are G/F's for under 10,000 these days still? I thought I had an ok deal for HK$11K T_T

doggy 11 yrs ago
@Kevy, if you are paying 11K for 360 sq.ft I would consider a move.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad