Urgent - Advice about changing name in Hong Kong

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by willy11 13 yrs ago
Hello, I want to change my name in Hong Kong. I am a permanent resident and due to family and personal reasons that I find quite serious, I would like to change my name without my family members finding out.

I looked around the internet and found that it required a deed poll.

I'm asking if that deed poll can be obtained without a lawyer and if someone could tell me the procedures of petitioning the court and the entire process.

Also, I want to ask what kind of other documents you require for this, if such the change of name occurs in your birth certificate too as in the canadian, american name changes and the amount of money required ( I have heard from a range of 500-8000).

I would like to do this discreetly and not because of legal issues.

Hopefully, I'd like to do this without a solicitator because I don't want people around me to know.

BUT if that is not possible, could someone recommend me to a good law firm that speaks english and that does not charge extravagant fees.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
cookie09 13 yrs ago
i dont have the answer to many of your questions, but i dont think you can change your birth certificate.

my suggestion: why not go to immigration/government in wan chai and ask them directly? might take some time for such a complex matter but surely you get the best advice

fernih24 13 yrs ago
Dear willy,

there is a procedure that you must go through including the drafting and registering of a Deed Poll. The Deed Poll must be signed by a Hong Kong Solicitor. (I am assuming you are at least 18 years old and therefore do not need to have parents present in order to change your name). I understand that you would not like to use a Hong Kong solicitor but it is required by immigration. We can help you with this.

There are also two immigration forms that are required with a legal change of name. I can help you prepare these forms as well. However as for the actual submission of the documents, you will have to attend the HK immigration office in Wan Chai in person so that they can create a new HKID card with her new name on it.

Note that in HK, a hong kong citizen can only change their given name (either English of Chinese), they can not change their surname. If you have alturnative citizenship, then a change in surname could be executed.

If you would like my help, please let me know and I will forward you a list of documents (for example, “copy of her current HKID, Copy of her current HK passport, copy of her birth certificate” etc.) that will be required for the submission of the application to the government.

You can contact me if you have any further questions. Hope all is well and look forward to hearing from you .

willy11 13 yrs ago
Thank you for replying! I do want to change my surname and I do have an alternative Citizenship (Canadian), do I need to change the name on my Canadian passport and citizenship card in order to change my documents in HKID?

And I want to ask if I change my surname, will they issue a new birth certificate like the Canadian name change?

And I would a list of document, my e-mail now is ntshi@live.com.

Could I also have your e-mail and your contact number?

Thank you very much.

lotusgarden 9 yrs ago
Hello,

Anyone knows how much a solicitor charges for a name change, and how long does the process takes. I would like to on my husband's surname, but also would like to modify my first name, is this possible in HK, I am a HK resident.

Thank you in advance.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad