How many mls is your LO taking

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by asking 18 yrs ago
I have just introduced a bottle (currently using expressed breastmilk). My LO is only taking between 90-150mls per feed.

What is the 'normal' range for this age? Or how much does your baby take?

I am giving two meals a day - breakfast and dinner and am thinking of introducing a third meal since she doesnt seem to connect having solids with feeding at the mo! - she will often refuse milk but then take solids!!

How much quantity is your LO taking in solids too? Mine takes 1 or 2 tablespoons each time.

Lots of questions I know!

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Wheelymate 18 yrs ago
7am: 180ml formula, 60ml formula mixed with oatmeal and fruit for brekkie

11.30am: 60ml milk mixed with 6 cubes of solids

2.30pm: 100-120ml milk

5pm: 5 cubes of solids

6.15pm: 210ml milk

he is now 7 months.

dizzydog 18 yrs ago
Baby is now 6.5mths

on an average day 720ml, on a good day 840ml. i think 240ml per feed is her max intake, she tends to drink more at night.

2 x solid meals (4 cubes each time)

Wheelymate 18 yrs ago
i just want to caution against these calculations on how much to feed - treat them as guidelines, they are useful BUT they are not set in stone. seriously every baby is different.

i speak from personal experience because based on the formula brand i use and based on my PD's advice (via some calculation), i was supposed to feed my baby an amount that i know he would never be able to down in 24 hours. but because it was based on doc's advice and stuff i read, i nearly drove myself mad trying to hit this elusive target daily. it made feeding times very unpleasant for baby and i.

and then at 5 months, i stopped battling and introduced solids. he is now drinking an ok amount (i hope) for a little one on solids. the afternoon feed is still a struggle but strangely he drinks well in the am and bedtime. so i try to top up his milk intake by adding into his brekkie cereal. he is growing well, good weight gain so i try not to worry.

crj 18 yrs ago
very very good point by wheelymate!!

use tools as aguide, but the only thing that matters is if your baby is gaining weight and staying on their 'curve' on the growth chart.... in other words, if your baby is 30% weight for their length, that they stay at 30% and not drop to 20%.

Your doctor and/or midwife should be marking down weight and length for you on a chart. It is also important same scale is used, so you might want to use separate charts if you get baby weighed at two separate places.

Ps - I don't remember that link :)

asking 18 yrs ago
Wheelymate - are each of your food cubes 1 tablespoon?

My health visitor told me that once they are on 3 meals a day they should be drinking at least 600mls of milk or 1 pint.

Ive been expressing this week and topping up with formula (since I cant pump out as much as she can drink - bit disappointing but then I console myself with the fact that at least she still is getting majority breastmilk!). Her typical intake is:

7am breakfast - approx 100mls plus 30mls in cereal

11:30 lunch - approx 160mls formula plus two tbsp of solids

3:30 - approx 120mls

6:00 dinner - approx 120mls plus two tbsp of solids

7:00 before bed - breastfeed

11:00 dreamfeed - breastfeed

I think that just about covers the 600mls most days.

She is only having small amounts of solids at the mo and I am a bit worried that when I have to give solids first that her milk intake will drop. Ill cross that bridge when I come to it! On the whole though she has ate everything offered so even though small amounts lots of variety.

Thanks everyone for your experience sharing!

Wheelymate 18 yrs ago
Hi asking,

it really depends on the size of the ice-cube tray. mine is about 1.5 tablespoon per cube.

As they grow older, formula or breastmilk will still be very important but you can supplement their dairy intake with other alternatives such as yoghurt, cheeses, etc. The advice will vary from book to book but for most books, let's say they say the baby should be taking at least 600ml per day, it usually includes milk you used in cooking too. so if your bub is taking little, you can up her intake by adding it in solids. at 6 months, the food they eat are very smooth so instead of using water to get the right consistency, use expressed bm or formula ..that way your baby gets more milk!

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad