much ado about congee??

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Wheelymate 18 yrs ago
i'm chinese, my hubby british...my family keeps bugging me about introducing congee to my baby, saying i shouldn't feed my baby "western" foods only. ok, personally i LOVE congee but because of his low milk intake, i am advised by the doc to introduce foods that i can mash up with milk. so i do alot of potatoes/sweet potatoes with a variety of vegetables suitable for his age (6 months).

so i just want to know, is it essential to introduce congee to baby? that is, does it provide key nutrients to my baby or should i just continue with my usual spuds/vegetables combi that i can add his formula milk (which has the nutrients necessary for him as a baby) to?

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
crj 18 yrs ago
can you make a 'creative' congee - with a bit of rice, but lots of sweet potato veggies and forumla milk too?

Wheelymate 18 yrs ago
i was thinking of that...but the idea of congee and milk????!!

Claire 18 yrs ago
The studies on this are few.

One - A Pilot Study On The Weaning Diets Of Hong Kong Children - by the Department of Paediatrics, University of Hong Kong noted:

Nutrient intake

In this study we have gathered nutritional data from 49 local children, age over 6 months to 24 months, in an attempt to assess the daily intake of calories, protein, calcium, iron and the vitamin contents in the weaning period. It appears that the total energy intake of a large proportion of babies was inadequate. While the protein intake was more reasonable, it is important to remember that when the total calorie intake is inadequate, protein in the diet will be utilized as a source of energy instead of for tissue synthesis and repair’“. Factors which contributed to a low total calorie intake include the prolonged use of congee (watery rice) whose calorie content (about 10 calories per ounce) is significantly lower than soft rice (about 20 calories per ounce). The remarkably low calcium and vitamin D intake is most certainly due to the replacement of milk by congee after the first 6 months. The infrequent use of iron fortified cereal products or eggs, and the common practice of removing meat particles from congee during feeding are contributory factors to the prevalence of low iron content in the baby’s diet.

Abstract from the Conclusion:

We concur with Woo(2) that most parents are concerned with the growth and development of their children but many lack knowledge and are not well informed about child health and nutrition. Many customs and traditions also prevent the correct food being given. Nutritional education would be particularly important in the dissemination of knowledge on appropriate child feeding practices. For example, an adequate intake of milk should be included as an essential item in the weaning diet, congee is not an adequate substitute for milk and should never completely replace it, and other food items should also be included in an infant’s diet.

A second study by the same researchers found:

When the babies were started on mixed feeding, the extensive and prolonged use of congee which has a low energy content, is the important factor responsible for the low total energy intake in most diets. The replacement of milk by congee resulted in low calcium and vitamin D contents in the diet.

... The common practice of removing meat particles on feeding congee to babies, removes not only a valuable source of first class protein but iron in addition.

... Though rice is a cereal, the vitamin content of the polished grain is minimal.

... Congee can be used with other food items added to improve its nutritional value, and fruits and vegetables should be incorporated into the diet more often to increase both the variety and the vitamin and mineral intake.

hortons 18 yrs ago
Wheelmate, the congee our DH prepares is an enormous mix of meat, vegetables and cereals. It really is an entire meal in one. Our first child grew up in Australia and ate various meals of processed jars, as a result she was a FAT baby (thin now!!), plenty of rolls to keep her warm. Our boy, congee baby, isn't fat at all however is well in the healthy weight range. Wondering whether this is congee influence?

It would ofcourse be important to keep regular milk intake.

Thought passed my mind....this congee should be bottled and sold.

Wheelymate 18 yrs ago
i think when he's slightly older and doesn't require as much milk, i'll introduce congee....

thanks for posting the study, claire...very interesting. i should print it out for my family to read!!

MayC 18 yrs ago
This is very interesting indeed. I used to give my baby milk 4 times a day (4 oz) even at the age of 1. The nurse told me that I was feeding her WAY too much milk and the fact I was giving her congee meant that I could decrease her milk intake by 2-3 times a day.

But after reading the article, I think for her lunch congee, it's going to be solids with milk in it.... she has cereals for breakfast quite often too... and that's always with milk.

Problem is, the locals here also mention that cereals are processed and may not be as fresh as Chinese-made congees.

my thoughts 18 yrs ago
Very interesting study Claire.

One ancillary plus for having a child be at least familiar with, and accepting of, congee, is that it IS the best first food for those recovering from a bout of vomitting and/or diarrhea. There is something about the rice that is very healing for the gastrointestinal tract, western medicine appreciates this as well. After a serious rotovirus infection at the age of 13 mo, my daughter was restricted to riceWATER only, no rice, just the water it was cooked in. Not liking rice yet, THAT didn't go over well at all!

Wheelymate 18 yrs ago
my thoughts,

my mom advised before that if my baby ever had diarrhoea, to feed him rice water just like you mentioned!

but as a meal itself...i am sceptical about its benefits. for the chinese, they see it as nutritious - fresh ingredients and all. i love it personally and it's one of my top comfort food. i am just doubtful that it should feature as an essential part of my 6 month old's diet.

abby78 18 yrs ago
my baby is also a mixed baby, but I give him congee mixed with fish or sometimes chicken, and with veggie on top, he love eating it, and since then he likes eating rice with veggies, he started eating them since he was 6 months old.

Wheelymate 18 yrs ago
hi abby78,

thanks for sharing.

i will start him on congee eventually...because when he is bigger he will definitely have to sit down with us and eat rice and vegetables and meat like the rest of the family. just that for now, because my family keeps pressuring me to feed him congee, i just wonder if it is necessary at this stage - i still feel that at 6 months, i don't need to rush...most importantly he is drinking milk and being exposed to various fruits and vegetables.

crj 18 yrs ago
I heard a good idea of putting some fruit/veg into smoothies to help get children to get their vitamins - you might try that Cara.

ness 18 yrs ago
You can also grate vegetables like carrot, zucchinni etc into pasta sauces and then cook as usual - the children do not know they are there...but are being exposed to the taste I guess and the nutrients. My mum also used to grate it into any sort of mince dish like spaghetti bolognaise/shephers pie or burger patties. Sometimes if you give the vegetables cut into sticks and lightly steamed to soften and let them have a cheesy sauce to dip and suck they might even get around to eating a bit.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad