how to make my sick baby feel more comfortable?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Wheelymate 18 yrs ago
took him to the PD today - runny nose and the beginnings of broncitis. :( i feel like it's our fault because hubby and i both had a bad cold, we've been carting him all about UK, he had to recover from jet lag and a fever due to vaccination...all in a week!!

last night he was very uncomfortable, probably couldn't breathe that well due to stuffy nose.

besides feeding him the medication and not having the aircon switched on, is there anything else i can do to make him more comfortable? we were given nasal drops too.

thanks!

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
spicegal 18 yrs ago
Hi wheelymate,

my LO has had a cold since we flew back from the UK too - don't think it's as serious as yours sounds though.

Not sure how humid it is there right now but our humidity has dropped a lot so we've been using a humidifier with a few drops of Karvol in it - we got the karvol in the UK but if you can't get it in Singapore I've just looked at the box and it has menthol, pine and cinamon oils in it. It seems to have helped with the stuffiness but her nose is still quite runny. That might help anyway.... hope he's feeling better soon

squiggles 18 yrs ago
our little one had the worst cold ever when we were back in the uk! it was so bad that the snot was coming out of his eyes! needless to say he wouldn't eat a thing either (and could hardly drink as it interfered with his breathing) and so lost loads of weight as well. the whole thing lasted about two weeks.

to make him more comfortable we found the nasal drops quite important as it allowed him to breathe. we also used Karvol which helped. we also raised his cot mattress and one end (put folded towel under) so it sloped slightly downwards and we also put vicks (mentholatum) on his chest. we also kept trying to wipe his nose and clean his eyes (didn't want him getting conjunctivitus) but he hated that. and that was probably about all we could do....and wait!

Kimmi 18 yrs ago
Hi sorry to hear your bubby is not too well. Mabe you could raise the cot at one end so his head is higher than the legs either by putting towels under the mattress or raising the two legs somehow. Using Karvel on the sheets or even better if you can get some Baby Balsam by vicks to apply on the chest even better. Good Luck hope he recovers soon

Nappypooh 18 yrs ago
Yes, nose drops and nose cleaning are the more important I think.

When she had her cold, I had her in upright position as much as possible so the mucus can go down easely. Raising the cot wasn't enough for us. So I've been babywearing her a lot then in tummy to tummy position.

I hope he'll get better soon :-)

HTH

Wheelymate 18 yrs ago
hi all,

thanks for the advice!

i thought about raising the cot too but not sure about effectiveness as he moves all over the cot!

i am thinking of buying a air purifier (is that the same as the humidifier mentioned by spicegal) - not sure if it will help him breath better?

the problem also it's not just a cold, he's coughing and wheezing. and his appetitite is definitely not great.

but for all the discomfort, he still has lots of strength to fight me when i try to wipe his nose!!!

i keep trying to tell myself such stuff are part and parcel of bub's life but it pains me as a 1st time mum to see him so uncomfortable!!

nappypooh: based on your advice, i suppose i should try to put him in my baby bjorn more then?

@@ 18 yrs ago
I would certainly suggest a humidifier (not the same as a purifier) if your baby has a bad cough and/or wheeze. Some saline nose drops might also help, panadol for the aches and pains and lots of snotty cuddles! Good Luck, hope your babe is better soon.

kar 18 yrs ago
If you don't have a humidifier, try turning your shower on hot, letting it run and standing in the bathroom with the door closed while holding your baby. That way he can breathe in some steam. Used to do that with mine and it seemed to help them feel better.

crj 18 yrs ago
our baby had a cold in and after UK too.

We used Saline nose drops and just fed as much as possible to make him breath through nose.

I hope yours feels better soon!!!

Wheelymate 18 yrs ago
looks like the UK weather makes babies sick!!

kar: thanks for your suggestion, might try that....provided this doesn't overheat the baby right? how long do you usually do it for?

crj: would love to feed him more to ensure he is taking enough fluids but he's just not in the mood...fed him his meds earlier and his facial expression was so sad! :(

it might be a long night for me!

crj 18 yrs ago
oooh, poor you and baby!

We would put the drops up the nose, right before the feed, so that way he had to inhale them...

Hope he gets sleep tonight and you do too!

Nappypooh 18 yrs ago
How is LO feeling today?

Seeing our baby uncomfortable is very hard on us, Mums. And to make it worse, when sick, they tend to not eat much, but it is really important to hydrate him well, it will help him heal faster.

When you wipe his nose, maybe you can try to do it with your fingers and running water. It may sound Yurk! but it is really softer to the nose skin than any tissues.

As for the upright position, I forgot how old is your baby, but if he can already sit, have him sitting as much as possible.

The Bjorn is okay, but I've heard that it can be painful for the back after a while. So if it is the case for you, maybe you can just sit and read or watch TV or whatever, and have him sleeping on you. Not only is he in upright position (you doing the "bed"), but your contact is comforting for him... You can have the Bjorn if you need to do things at the same time.

Hope that it will get better soon. Usually a cold last for a week I've heard but the "worst" are the first 2-3 days.

kar 18 yrs ago
Maybe I missed this in your post but how old is your baby? It's been so long since I've worried about overheating one of mine...so your son must be pretty small.

I would let the water run for 5 minutes or so. You can always stay in the bathroom longer since it will be steamy. If your son seems uncomfortable, take him out.

Good luck. Hope he feels better soon.

Wheelymate 18 yrs ago
hello everyone,

thanks so much for your advice and concern.

he is better but still slightly snotty and cough still sounds very phelgm-ish. the doc said to bring him back next week if there is no improvement as it's important to ensure it doesn't become a serious case of bronchitis.

he is 6 months old by the way....daddy sees it as another milestone (1st illness) but mummy just sees it as distressing.

nappypooh: water will be a good idea...i try not to use tissue as i am worried his skin will become tender so currently using wet wipes.

kar: since he's only 6 months, can he do the shower suggestion?

crj: i have nasal drops but only supposed to use it twice daily!

crj 18 yrs ago
nasal drops - we only used saline, no medicine, so it was okay to use more often.

Hope he get the all clear from the doctor next week!

kar 18 yrs ago
Shouldn't be a problem. Just pop him into a steamy bathroom for a few minutes. The steam always seemed to help my two when they were snotty and congested. Also helped with their cough.

Wheelymate 18 yrs ago
shall try the shower tip....but will take him back to doc mid-week if things don't improve!

his appetite is better so i guess that's a good sign!

kar 18 yrs ago
He's definitely on the mend...hopefully you're feeling better as well and can get some sleep!

Janey88 18 yrs ago
Hi Wheelymate,

Has your LO fully recovered yet? My LO has just fallen ill with what seems like the same thing - bronchilitis. She is not sleeping well at all, so will try some of the tips from everyone posted here.

What medication did your PD prescribe? How long did it take for your Lo to fully recover? It really is very distressing to see them unwell.

Wheelymate 18 yrs ago
hi janey,

sorry to hear that your bub is unwell.

took my bub back to the doc on wed as it's been a week. doc said the situation was stabiling. so his advice to me was to continue the meds for a few more days and then stop to monitor. if things don't fully recover by next week, to take him back again.

he is definitely on the mend...aside from the flying snot when he sneezes and the ocassional cough.

according to my doc, it takes a couple of weeks to heal from this. i would advise you to take her to the doc for a proper check-up and get advice from the doc. i think on my part, i knew he was getting better when:

1) he slept better

2) ate better

3) played better

hang it there....they are like sad little puppies when unwell....i just give him lots more cuddles and kisses!!

sssa 18 yrs ago
FOR everybody

This is my own experience try it your baby or any age kids even grown up.

If your baby coughing and having bronchitis give them ginger water with pour honey First boil ginger and turmeric around 10 to 15 minutes make sure when you boil close the boiling pot and let water warm then put honey but make sure you taste before give, 3 months to 15 months baby little bit light taste not to strong or you can make sure its depend how strong your kids can drink, this water give them 3, 4 times.

If your kids up to 3 years old then give them 3 to 4 times 1 spoon honey put 3 to 4 drops ginger mix then just take without water.

If running nose then just put lemon little bit then boil all together.

Having bronchitis and coughing mostly kids and baby can't sleep very hard to breath too that time always in night time you put vicks (Mentholatum) on his chest and throat rub and take hot towel on his throat and chest leave the hot towel and cover the blanket if hot towel getting cold then take out and repeat 30 minutes and 30 minutes in backside also. This is the best treat at home and the your kids and baby feel better and can sleep good.

Next morning give your baby massage with any oil and then give a hot bath put your baby's,( kid's) whole body on a hot water close the bathroom door don't let steam go out.

These all I used to do and it seemed to help them feel better. If you want more please mail me.

Janey88 18 yrs ago
Hi Wheelymate,

Thanks for the encouragement. The last 4 days or so have been pretty awful, but my baby is getting better now. I had taken her to the doc last week and he gave her some cough meds which she has been taking. I followed some of the suggestions above which really helped. Also bought one of those suction tubes to suck out the mucus from her nose (read that on another thread here). The baby didn't like it but it helped alot.

sssa:

thanks for the advice about the ginger and honey. Only thing is the doc recommends against giving a baby under 12 months honey. I will certainly try that when she is older. The warm towel on the chest was very effective. Instead on putting vicks on her chest - which apparently is also not recommended for young babies (could not find Karvol anywhere), I put a few drops of eucalyptus oil in a bowl of hot water in her room.

Wheelymate 18 yrs ago
Hi Janey88,

Good to know she's better.

You said vicks is not recommended for young babies - when is it suitable? my mom actually suggested it but i was worried that it won't be suitable for his age.

Janey88 18 yrs ago
Hi WHeelymate,

Not sure when it is ok to use vicks directly on a baby's chest.

angel toes 18 yrs ago
thanks for all good advise my LO is just three months old and suffering with bad cold also vomiting frequently from phelgm in tummy, have been using vicks on chest so will stop for moment but is anyone sure about its safty on small babies, it so nice to be able to get advice on line and not feel so isolated, live in small thai town cant find karvol any other ideas?

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad