school for special needs (pre-school and K)

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by crl 16 yrs ago
Hi,

We're considering a two-year job in Hong Kong (preliminary stages). We have a son who will be turning 5 in June. He's a great kid, but he's special needs--ADHD and anxiety disorder. So we need a school that's able to provide the extra support he needs. We'd be looking for one year of preschool and one year of kindergarten and planning to return to the States for 1st grade.

We adopted him from mainland China when he was 13.5 months old. But we do not speak Mandarin and so English is his only language now.

What school options would we have? What kind of cost are we looking at? How hard is it to get in?

Thanks!

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Mighty 16 yrs ago
To ED

There are quite a few threads about children need special needs. May be worth setting up a forum specially for that?

Tks for yr consideration.

cd 16 yrs ago
The ESF has several schools with provision for some special needs, particularly Bradbury and Clearwater Bay for primary, and JCSRS which is a special needs school for primary and secondary, but that may not be what you're looking for as that is for moderate or severe disabilities. There was a centre for children aged 0-6 over on the Island with special needs, but for the life of me I can't remember the name, if it comes to me I'll let u know. Maybe contact the CAB.

notyou 16 yrs ago
I think your best best is to try The Harbor School. They have really small class sizes, around 2 teachers for 5 children. It's a fabulous place. I suggest you do a search online. The phone # is 2816-5222. I'll try to find out more. I know there is one in New Territories too. I'll ask my friend what it's called. I think it's the Norweigian school, but I'm not sure. I'll post another note when I find out more.

crl 16 yrs ago
Thank you all! I would say our son is on the mild end of special needs. He's currently in a regular preschool classroom with an extra aide for the three special education students. He does receive 1 hour per week of speech therapy and 1/2 hour a week of occupational therapy at his current school.

(I read some of the other threads on special needs, but the ones I saw were about older kids--if I missed one on preschool and kindergarten and someone would point me to it, that would be great.)

jassy67 16 yrs ago
Our friends little boy is 4 yrs old and is mild Autistic. He is in the ESF Preschool/Kindergarden in Tsing Yi. I think you will have a few options.

namaste 16 yrs ago
The Norwegian International School offers preschool and kindergarten. They also go all the way through 6th grade. My daughter goes there and we have been really happy with it and turned down an offer from an ESF school so she could staythere.They are located in Tai Po, which is quite north. I believe that there are express buses from Tai Po to Central that take 30 minutes. However, there are parents who come from as far as Tung Chung (near the airport) and Sai Kung (big expat community). They also have school bus services. The cheapest schools are around $78,000 per year.

ltxhk 16 yrs ago
Watchdog (midlevels) and Matilda Development (peak) both run learning support groups for 6 and under. HK Academy kindergarten may also be a good option; starts from 3 years old and goes onward to primary. Kindergartens are mostly private for English speaking, and tend to be pricey starting at HK$4000? per month.

crl 16 yrs ago
Thank you!

Snow Rose 16 yrs ago
The Child Development Centre on Victoria Peak (next to the Matilda Hosptial) is very good, it runs a pre-school, 3-6 years, about HKD 6000 for 5 mornings a week. They offer speech therapy and occupational therapy. I would suggest you start off there and then go to the Harbour School (Kennedy Town) or to the special needs class of ESF. I have been to the Harbour School for a look round, it's really great, a little expensive though (HKD112,000 per year).

www.cdchk.org(website) info@cdchk.org(e-mail) tel: 2849 6138

www.theharbourschool.edu.hk info@theharbourschool.edu.hk

Harbourt school tel: 2816 5222

crl 16 yrs ago
Thank you!

Shane Yan 16 yrs ago
perhaps you can try Smiling Star International Kindergarten in Pudong of Shanghai? they provide bilingual education (English and Chinese) and as they have only just started, class size are small too. So it can give your child space and time, and also pick up chinese along the way!

Onkn11 8 yrs ago
I am a full time teacher at a Phoenix kindergarten and agree that such kids need special care while in the class. We provide all these facilities for such kids in our academy. All the best for finding a good school in your region! Our site is http://www.aseds.org/Page/Academics/Lower-School/Kindergarten

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad