www.runescape.com

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Worme 18 yrs ago
I am interested if anyone has had any experience of this site and what their views are. I have an 8 year old boy and a lot of the kids in his class have started playing "runescape" within the last couple of weeks. I went onto the site with him to create an account and discovered that you are meant to be over 13. I intend to spend some time on the site myself to form a view and also talk to the Mums in his class once school starts back. I am also keen to find out what other people's experience of this site and the game is.

I would be grateful for any comments you may have.

Thanks

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
hkkm 18 yrs ago
I've played Runescape quite a lot, but then I'm 42 so I doubt that it's damaged me (any more than I was already:-)

Like most computer games, Runescape has positive and negative features. One of the negatives is that one aspect of the game involves killing things. However, the killing is not very realistic and many of the creatures you kill are "monsters" (some are human though).

Like most online games of this type, Runescape has many other skills apart from killing from which you can gain rewards within the game. It also has an active economy, and some parts of the game require cooperation between players. These are the more positive aspects of the game, from which some educational value can be gained.

There is a very good "Parents Guide" accessible from the main Runescape page, that should be essential reading for any parent of a Runescape-playing child. It includes a section on educational benefits of Runescape. There is also a lot of information on security that you can go over with your son.

My feeling is that, if he is going to play online computer games, he could do a lot worse than Runescape.

If you want to know more (from an adult's perspective) about the game, feel free to send me a message via the Control Panel.

Worme 18 yrs ago
Hkkm Many thanks for taking the time to reply. It is useful having someone esle's perspective. will read the "Parent Guide" and then have a go at the game. I'll contact you if I have any questions. Thanks.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad