weighing baby

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by :-)) 18 yrs ago
I would like to get my baby weighed in HK, without paying for a doctor's consultation. Anyone know whether I can show up at a public clinic without an appointment just to get a weighing?

I am based in Discovery Bay and the DB Medical Centre used to have a baby clinic for $50 but the woman who used to do them resigned and they haven't replaced her. Tried Island Health in DB which has a baby clinic for $70 but the baby has to already be a customer of theirs before being allowed to attend the baby clinic.

I know Annerley Midwives do a baby clinic but not until next Tuesday and I would like sooner than that to see whether my new feeding regime is working.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
crj 18 yrs ago
Matilda is 150 for the well baby clinic

Annerley, although not until next Tuesday maybe you could call and ask?

Adventist also has well baby clinic, not sure how much

BUT... Saying that when you weigh a baby and are trying to compare weight gain, you should use the SAME SCALE. This has been a huge issue for us. We get home visits from Annerley. We also go to our doctor. Baby loses weight from Annerley to doctor, but gains if you compare one doctor weighing to the next doctor weighing or one annerley to the next annerley.

It is really important to use the same scale. Also, you need to use an average - not just weight gain in one week, but weight gain over 2 week periods, twice to really get a feel for the gain.

Hope that helps.

Mrs Miggins 18 yrs ago
In the end we bought scales from B2B as the cost of hiking up to the Matilda and paying the consultation fee just added up to too much. Our scales cost around HK$800 for a really decent pair. The scales also turn into toddler/ kiddie scales later on which they can stand on. It works out cost effective if you are planning on having more than 1 kid and you can always sell them later and reclaim some of the investment.

spicegal 18 yrs ago
or, if you have previously registered with one of the MCHC's (maternal and child health centre) you can get our baby weighed for free at your checkups there.

Most people from DB go to the one in Sai Ying Pun - right next to the Tsan Yuk Hospital - or I think there might be one in Tung Chung too - check out the department of health website.

http://www.fhs.gov.hk/english/centre_det/maternal/maternal.html

Also, I'm pretty sure if you are a HK resident you can register at a MCHC even if you gave birth at a private hospital, but don't quote me on that!

Nappypooh 18 yrs ago
Did you ask your doctor if you could just come to weight the baby?

I did, and he says "Yes, sure" and it was free... But then the scale isn't in his office but by the waiting room and the weighing is done by the nurses.

I've actually done it only once. I've cured myself from my weight obsession after that (or maybe it is just that now that I know I can, I don't want anymore ;-) )

Wheelymate 18 yrs ago
crj,

you are right about weight discrepancy. on friday, i went to the usual branch of clinic for his jabs - he was 8.1kg then.

today i went to the nearer branch as he has a bad cold - now only 7.7kg...he's ill and not eating as much but not convinced weight can drop so much in a week (or can it)?

and when i go to well-baby clinic, they take his weight naked, so it's different again!

taurus2006 18 yrs ago
hi, i never buy any scales, just use the adult digital scales at home, i weigh myself and weigh myself plus bb then minus my own weight. i think it's good enough

Hulda - Annerley 18 yrs ago
Hi

I am not sure if you have had your baby weighed yet, but you are welcome to drop by in our clinic, as long as we know you are coming, we charge 60 HKD for just a weight check.

Tomorrow, for example, if you call first, no problem for you to drop by.

Warmly,

Hulda

:-)) 18 yrs ago
Thanks everyone! I am going to drop by my usual doctor's in DB tomorrow morning, since a friend mentioned to me that she had used the scales for free there before, like Nappypooh suggested. It would be good to use the same scales if possible. If they won't let me, sounds like I have a good excuse to go shopping and drop by Annerley's to see Hulda!

I remember one doctor who weighed my first child saying that the difference between 10 centiles for a young baby was a good bowel movement, LOL...

:-)) 18 yrs ago
Successfully weighed baby for free this morning - thanks again!

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad