feeding solids: solids or milk first?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Wheelymate 18 yrs ago
for parents who have just started their bubs on solids and have not dropped their feeds:

i understand in the beginning, we feed some milk first, then solids, then finish up with remaining milk. but i have read that we'll need to gradually feed solids first before milk.

so who has done that for their bubs and at how many months and does this affect the amount of milk taken by bub?

thanks!

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
hkchoichoi 18 yrs ago
my baby has been on solids for one month - now 7 months old.

Her first meal is always milk first. (breakfast)

Her lunch and her dinner are both solids first and then milk. Her lunch milk follows about 30 minutes later - and she seems to suck quite a bit (she's breastfed.) When she has had expressed milk after her solids - she still took down her regular 240 ml, but it seemed to put her off of her.

Her dinner is at five, and she has her last milk feed at 6:30, and she doesn't eat so much on some days and other days she chows down.

Wheelymate 18 yrs ago
hi hkcc,

thanks for sharing!

my baby is 6 months. routine wise, we more or less follow gina ford's:

7am or so: milk and brekkie

After 11am (depending on how hungry he is): Milk and lunch

2.30pm: Milk

6pm: Milk

10.30pm: dreamfeed

I have yet to introduce dinner, will probably wait until next week. i am still giving milk first at lunchtime. my bub's low milk intake was the reason why the doc suggested solids before 6 months - solids would allow me to add milk into his food, making up for what he wouldn't drink directly. i know most parents will eventually drop the lunchtime feed but i am not sure if it will be suitable in my case. at the same time, i want to make solids a main part of his lunch and therefore thinking of giving that first next time and offering milk. but at the same time concerned he won't drink a drop after all the solids!

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad