a dog on CX flight

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by littlebean 12 yrs ago
Hi Anyone has experience on moving your dog from overseas to Hong Kong on Cathay Pacific recently?

I'm bringing my puppy to Hong Kong from Tokyo, and the agent told me that Cathay may not be the best airline in terms of dealing pet transfer.

The agent didn't explain in details as to why they say so, but just said "they do not like to deal with animals especially transit involves" but we are flying him directly from Tokyo to Hong Kong, no transit.

If anyone out here has done this on CX, could you please share your experience both good/bad things on CX. or any other airlines you would recommend?

Thank you so much

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
dogdoc 12 yrs ago
Hi, I am a veterinarian here in Hk and specialize in the import and export of pets. CX is an extremely experienced airline with respect to shipping pets and I commonly use them. They do however have quite a long list of restricted breeds for example brachycephalic dogs and cats (snub nosed). I would have no hesitation in recomending CX for the transport of your pet. Japan is considered a group one country which means it is a relatively straight forward process to import from there. When choosing an agent make sure that they are an IPATA member which guarantees a professional pet shipping experience. pm me for my website if you would like any further information.

Susie1 12 yrs ago
It could be that the airline has a 'summer embargo', some do, and won't fly some pets between May to September. This is because the hold conditions may be too hot to safely transport live stock.

We had this problem last year when we travelled Air France to Paris, then to Spain, the plane we travelled on did not have the correct hold conditions and the summer embargo was in force on 1st Sept, so our doggy had to travel to Amsterdam with KLM, Ams-Mardrid with KLM, and Madrid to Alicante with KLM. He arrived albeit safe but very jet lagged and confused, he soon settled down.

Contact a good pet transporter, and ask them to possibly ask about any KLM flight from Tokyo to HK as they seemed to have the correct conditions for all out dogs 3 flights, but be aware of the summer embargo.

Your puppy needs to be fully injected against rabies to enter Hk, so see your vet about this if you haven't already done so.

littlebean 12 yrs ago
Thanks, dogdoc and Susie1.

I contacted the agent again who also contacted CX to confirm if they are capable to handle a puppy (Toy Poodle 2 months old now, will be 3 months old when he flies to HK).

It is approx. 4.5 hours flight from Tokyo to Hong Kong. My concern is would 3 months old puppy be able to handle 4.5 hours flight ? They say lots of puppies do longer flights, though.

We have required injections done for the puppy.

Thanks for your advice/comments. I will speak to the agent for more details.

Susie1 12 yrs ago
Your puppy should be quite Ok on a 4.5 hours flight, pet transporters will provide the correct size travel crate, and you can put an old T shirt or similar which you have worn inside the crate, puppy will just cuddle up to it and go to sleep during the flight.

Many young pets have travelled on much longer flights and arrived OK.

littlebean 12 yrs ago
Thanks Susie1

yes, they told us which travel crate we should use, and they are preparing all documents now. hopefully he will be home with us in about 3 weeks!

winwinkt 8 yrs ago
Hello! DOGDOC,

I would like to transport my Snub Dog to Bangkok. How do I have to contact you?
My email address is winwinkt@gmail.com
Win Kwong

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad