jury service

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by highdesertnow 18 yrs ago
I received notice for Jury service and do not know what to expect. Has anyone done jury service? How do they choose the people for jury service, what kind of cases are handled and how often will I be called in to do it? Should I accept or reject?

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Claire 18 yrs ago
Here is everything you need to know about jury service in HK.

HK has a common law legal system and, as with many legal systems, there is trial by jury, i.e. trial in court by fellow members of the community of the person on trial.

BTW, you may be able to get an exemption (these are not granted lightly) but this is not an "offer" you reject or accept.

http://www.judiciary.gov.hk/en/crt_services/pphlt/html/jury.htm

AYM 18 yrs ago
Don't worry too much yet. On the day you go, depending on the case on that particular day, about 7 or 8 jurors will be selected among 60 people or so. You'll just be one of these people. Your chance of being selected is thus approx. 8/60. I know this because my husband has just gone thru this last week. Well, he was happy that he was not being selected.

derbyram 18 yrs ago
I was called early this year. Arrived to find the case was to be heard in cantonese!!. They draw lots and you then stand in front of the clerk who then asks you a couple of questions. Unless you can give a good reason (like I dont speak cantonese or thats person is my tax accountant!) for not being there you will be selected.

The good news is you cannot be selected again for two years (I think)

Donnialda 18 yrs ago
exPats can be summoned for jury duty?!?!?!?! We're not legal full term residents. How is this possible?

Claire 18 yrs ago
Many expats are "legal full term residents" with a permanent ID card and the right of abode. Anyway for jury service in HK, the main requirement is 'resident of HK'; nothing about "no gweilos".

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad