Baby Colds - how long do they last?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by asking 18 yrs ago
My baby started with a cold last Sat. Its almost a week now and she is still really snotty.

Its affecting her feeding since she cant believe through her nose and therefore cant suck and breathe at the same time.

In your experience how long did your baby have a cold for? Any tips to help with feeding?

I read it can last for 10 days or more (heaven forbid). Ive bought an aspirator and keep wiping her nose but its not helping her feeding.

Grateful for any advice

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
crj 18 yrs ago
We used saline drops they really helped. A few drops up the nose before each feed (if he was feeding, he had to breath through his nose and it helped clear it)

We liked this as it wasn't really medicine and seemed to work. He squirmed a bit, but we would put him on his back and after getting drops on his face, eyes, hair, mouth, neck... we finally got a few up his nose!

We also kept him upright as much as possible, this seemed to help too.

Good luck, hope baby is better soon!

hkchoichoi 18 yrs ago
are you breastfeeding? it's only anecdotal, but I take a dose of vitamin C before breastfeeding with the thought that some of it will get to the baby. (medical evidence on the efficacy of vitamin therapy on colds is mixed, but I find that it doesn't hurt.)

saline drops are really good. I also have a nasal aspirator - not your traditional bulb one, but the "mommy suck the booger out" booger snatcher. It's AWESOMe. far better than the bulb. My daughter hates it - but after getting it, she's much better.

around my daughter's crib, I tie hankies very tightly and rub vicks vapo rub on the hanky itself - not on her - helps her breath and soothes her cough.

otherwise it's a sit and wait game. My second catches ALL the bugs that her older one comes home with - in the long run, just think that you are building their immunity.

Chrispy06 18 yrs ago
Hi hkchoichoi, may I ask where I can get the nasal aspirator you are using? I have the traditional bulb one from Pigeon and it doesn't really suck out anything.

Thanks!

hkchoichoi 18 yrs ago
I got mine in Korea (I just wrote to you on your thread regarding this.) Pigeon makes one - so I bet if you went to Jusco or UNY you could find it there. Maybe even Sogo baby section as it is Japanese. I can't answer if it's at B2B as I never looked for it there.

crj 18 yrs ago
I have seen them at WingOn and Eugene Club at different times.

Matilda 18 yrs ago
Most colds last a week or two, but some linger even longer. Liquids can help loosen the congestion. Encourage frequent feedings for younger babies. Breast milk offers extra protection from cold-causing germs.

If your baby is congested, elevate the head of the mattress with an old towel or two. Sleeping at an incline may help relieve your baby's postnasal drip. (Do not use pillows to prop your baby up -- they can pose a suffocation hazard).

If your child is having trouble breastfeeding with a stuffy nose, you may like to ask your GP to prescribe saline drops to apply to each nostril 15 minutes before a feed. This will make it easier to clear your baby's nose with the bulb aspirator.

Try a cool mist vaporizer to moisten the air. Or take your baby into the bathroom with you, turn on the hot water or shower, close the door, and sit in the steamy room for about 15 minutes. Remember to change your baby into dry clothes after the steam bath.

Well Baby Clinic - 2849 1500

Matilda International Hospital

Hong Kong

http://www.matilda.org

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad