DATA ONLY SIMs

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by SiB 8 yrs ago
Hi all, any help much appreciated...

I'm finally cutting the Now TV / Broadband cord and am looking for a data-only SIM that I can plug into a router at home and run my WiFi off that instead.

- Does anyone know of a SIM package with unlimited data and good speed?

Cheers
Simon

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
PJJ 8 yrs ago
I have good experience using both 1O1O and SmarTone data-only SIM cards - both offering quite respectable download speeds of 30-50 Mbs in decent 4G LTE coverage areas.

In terms of pricing, 1O1O currently have an interesting offer: if you are on one of their multi-SIM plans, you can add a data-only SIM for HKD 58 per month (it will share your total download quota, though).

SiB 8 yrs ago
Many thanks for your reply PJJ, I'll check those options out for sure.

SiB

unclefrank 8 yrs ago
In my experience, data sim cards here are either fast (4G speeds) but limited in the amount of data you can use (usually 10Gb for the most expensive plans), or unlimited in amount of data, but with restricted connection speed (300-400 kb/s).

None of these options are really a good replacement for a proper home internet connection if you can have one. Data usage at home can get impressively high, especially if you do a lot of streaming. I probably consume well over 1gB / day on average.

If you have no choice, I think the best option would be to have 2 sims in 2 different 3/4G routers:
1 unlimited but slow (cheap) for the day to day browsing and low-traffic stuff.
1 fast 4G but data limited (more expensive) for when you need to do some streaming or data intensive stuff (you'll have to watch consumption, additional GBs are expensive).

All in all, it's going to be more expensive than a wired home setup and more restricted, but if you have no choice...

SiB 8 yrs ago
Hi UncleFrank,

Thanks for your message. I'm currently trialling a data sim card from Vave, which I got from a shop in Sai Kung.

So far it seems to be very quick and the lady in the shop told me she'd not heard of anyone hitting any download limits on them yet. Apparently they've become popular in the Sai Kung / Clearwater Bay Area (where we live) because the PCCW broadband service here is so terrible. Some people only get 1-2 mbps off it!

Anyway, it's only HKD 238 for a month so I've got my fingers crossed it continues to perform. I was paying well over HKD 1,000 per month for PCCW broadband and NowTV before. And it's portable - I can just stick it into any modem with a SIM slot.

I'll post another update if it doesn't work out for any reason.

Cheers
SiB

unclefrank 8 yrs ago
Thank SiB, you do well to tell me as I will soon be looking at going all 3G/4G as well!

Do they have a website, or a shop I could visit?
Let me know if it works out in the longer run... very interested.

Cheers,

Frank.

unclefrank 8 yrs ago
Actually, I found their website.

It seems like a relatively small and sketchy operation, but I guess there is no risk in trying.
Let me know of your experience with them if you get a chance.

Thanks!

SiB 8 yrs ago
No problem UncleFrank. So far so good...

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad