Moving to Mui Wo - property advice

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by blimunda 11 yrs ago
Hi everyone, I need some advice on moving to Mui Wo. I posted in a separate thread, searching for advice on whether or not to move to Hong Kong, but I have more specific questions about finding a rental for the period of time I expect to be there. So, I know Mui Wo isn't for everyone, but although I'm happy to work on HK island, I don't want to live on it. I'm in London at the moment and live out in a zone 3, so am accustomed to an hour's commute each way. I am coming with my 5-year-old daughter (no husband), and am craving quiet, green surroundings, which Mui Wo appears to have a lot of. So... my housing budget is ca. 20,000HKD per month. I'll need 2-3 bedrooms (one room to accommodate a domestic helper). I am meant to be in HK from October 2013, but will return to the UK by late August 2014. I know that landlords usually require you to sign a contract of 18-24 months. So... how would I manage a 10 or 11-month contract? Is that even possible? Any advice would be really really helpful. Thanks!

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
punter 11 yrs ago
It can be done. You may need to pay the whole amount of the lease however, in advance. It all depends in the negotiation.

blimunda 11 yrs ago
O wow, that's not going to be possible. Have you ever lived in Mui Wo? Do you have any advice on finding property there?

linnalin 11 yrs ago
If you like village houses, why not try New Territories, like Fotan? It is near services and has convenient transport and a selection of nice schools (in case you change your mind and stay longer). With that rent level you still have plenty of options.

I'm not familiar with Mui Wo though. But my experience of island living is that it may not be safe there during major typhoons if near the sea, health care and other services are poor, and the transport time will wear you out. Ferries do not run during major typhoons. Village living means dogs barking all night, mosquitoes, large hairy spiders and snakes too. Your tattooed neighbor does not look like that due to a fashion fad, and the local police there does not follow the professional standards expected int he city area.

Hope you find a some green, but most of all general life quality.

linnalin 11 yrs ago
As far as for finding a property: be active after your arrival and go to the location of your interest (better though to compare several locations to see the reality) and find the local property agents.

By offering slightly higher rent than the asking or by paying the agents fees fully you may be able to interest the landlord for shorter contract term. A common contract here is 1 year set and 1 year with one month notice, so even with those terms you are only tied to the contract for a practical 13 months (not that much more than your planned 11 months), and you can usually terminate early, but have to pay a penalty (lose the deposit).

The landlord will in case of a short contract worry of a period of vacancy after you leave, having to pay agent fees so soon and possible need for renovation (a fresh paint job for example) after you leave.

gtopp 11 yrs ago
Places are in high demand in Mui Wo at the moment. There are some (see http://homesolutions.hk/) but high rents in other areas of the city have forced people (particularly those looking for more space) to places like Lantau.

I think your HK$20k will get you a nice place, possible 2 floors and a roof.

My advice is to email the folks at Homesolutions now and indicate interest.

You can break your lease after 14 months.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad