I need advice .......

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by bbleungbb 18 yrs ago
When I arrived home last night I was informed by the building management that the cat kept by the unit above had accidentially turned on the water tap at the kitchen (how amazing!) and caused a flood all over the kitchen, the sitting area and as well the common corridor. No idea when did this happened but should had been quite sometime for the accumulated water to overflow from inside the apartment to the common corridor. Very likely that sooner or later the water seepage would affect areas of my ceiling and perhaps the hanging cabinets at the kitchen. As I don't know when would the damages could be seen, I just want to know what precautions/measures I should take at this point of time to protect myself to reserve the right to lodge a claim againsst the unit above for any loss or damage that would have done to me. Furthermore, I gather that the 'residents' of the 'accused' unit are tenants and what if the damage happened after they have already moved out and could I still hold the owner liable for the damage?

Very much appreciate your help and advice.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Thames 18 yrs ago
Ring the Community Advice Bureau (tel. 2815 5444) - their duty solicitor should be able to help. Also, if I were you I'd ask your building management to confirm in writing what they told you so you have a dated record of it that you can produce later if required. And get all the contact details of the current owner of the unit above from them. (How bizarre if it really was the cat! Sounds a bit dodgy, but the insurance companies have heard them all...)

bbleungbb 18 yrs ago
Thanks Thames. Had obtained an incident report from the Mgt Office and will call up the CAB as suggested.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad