What to prepare for Winter

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by fel 18 yrs ago
Hi

This shall be our first winter in Hong Kong. We come from hot/humid country, Singapore and I am wondering how i should prepare my kids during cold weather. Now, both of them already down with cold/cough and I am afraid it might be worst during dec/jan period.

tks,

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
singapore-mom 18 yrs ago
Hi fel,

Welcome to HK! Everything feels icy-cold when it is down to 8-9C... Get prepared with long-sleeve underwear and a heater at home will do.

:)

fel 18 yrs ago
hi singapore-mom,

huh...u mean can get so low to 8-9C? i can oredi feel the dryness now, n the kids' cheek oso feeling dry.... lotion is a must? any other preparation?

singapore-mom 18 yrs ago
8-9C is for most one or two days, else it stays around 11-15C. Depends on where you live, is colder around 6-7C at the NT area, whereas in HK island or Kowloon, if you stay facing the sea, expect to have some gush of strong wind every now and then.

Of coz lotion is a must, particularly to the lips.

This week is particularly dry, around 55-56% of humidity. And with typhoon hanging around, be prepared for a windbreaker on hand.

:)

ainotna 18 yrs ago
It was 5 degrees some mornings last year on my island...nice getting up and showering before work...

Claire 18 yrs ago
Keep the extremities warm - that means socks (sometimes a few thinner ones layered are better than one very think one), gloves or mittens and hats (we lose 25% of our body heat through our heads so keeping a warm head helps the rest of body stay warm). Also make sure the torso is covered, this maintains the core temperature.

The odd sniffle and cold is nothing too much to be worried about. A healthy immune system will easily fight them off. Ask your pharmacist what things you should have to hand should your youngsters be laid up.

fel 18 yrs ago
hi singapore-mom,

do u know if there is their lip balm for kids n baby? i hv a 2yo girl n another 6mo baby, so will need for both.

btw...u fr spore? nice knowing u

cheers

singapore-mom 18 yrs ago
Am a singaporean with a 3-yr old girl :)

I think all pharma sell lip balms for kiddie.

But beware of those selling fake ones...

my thoughts 18 yrs ago
The winters here are much milder than where I'm from, but somehow, I "feel" colder here. I've finally decided that it's because everyone's flat is so cold. We have central heat where I'm from!

One only needs the portable heaters for a few weeks in HK, maybe as long as a couple of months, but I was so much happier once we got enough of them. Two for our living/dining area (one at each end), one for each bedroom...

my thoughts 18 yrs ago
Pretty close cara, from Boston. We get some good winds down from Canada though :-)

The heaters do dry out your flat though. The last few winters, I've been using my leftover Lansinoh (!) on my hands at night. Works a treat against the cracks and dryness. A bit sticky for daytime use though. (Ruth, I thought you would have suggested this!)

Also fel, be sure you aren't overdoing it on the winter layers. Kids are remarkably adaptable to new climates. Keep feeling the back of their neck. If it's cold, so are they, if it's hot, take off some layers. And if they're sweating, change the wet layers out to dry ones. I often see kids dressed for a blizzard when they're inside a shopping mall--when it's warmer than it was in the summer with the air con on. The poor things have sweaty pink faces and look so uncomfortable.

fel 18 yrs ago
hi all,

noted your reply. I do know that the winter in HK is not cold cold...like some of the places that some of you come from.....cos we come from hot country like Spore, and i notice my gals'skin start getting dry as the weather becoming abit colder the last few days.I think they will probably take some times to get used to the weather changes. Will get them lotion n lip to treat the dryness.

fel 18 yrs ago
hi green,

Thanks for the note. Will be careful not to overdress them. But i think is the weather that making their skin feeling dry, so is mine. I know moisturiser is a must, just wondering if the humidifier helps in moisturing the air to avoid dry skin?

firsttimemom 18 yrs ago
How do I keep a baby with eczema warm but not too warm? I'm supposed to keep him cool, but I dont know how to handle the winter yet.

my thoughts 18 yrs ago
Don't feel his cheeks, feel the back of his neck (most importantly) and his hands and feet. If those are cool, so is he. If they're overly hot or even sweaty, he's too hot. Get used to how these areas feel when he's comfortable now, you'll want the same feeling in February.

Remember, a hat can do wonders for regulating temperature. First thing to put on if they're cool, first thing to take off when the're too warm. Find a comfy fleecy one, and something with ear flats that snaps under the chin is expecially practical.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad