Bringing milk powder or snacks into Australia?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by singapore-mom 18 yrs ago
I've been to Sydney twice on my own and have brought some light snacks and chocolates with me. This time, am travelling with my 3-year old kid and some oldies.

Does anyone have any inconveniences at the custom for bringing in milk powder or dairy products as well as some light snacks for own consumption? My 3-year does not eat during travelling and survive on milk only...

I have had heard some hearsay that the custom check are more vigorous for group tours.

Please comment?

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Kmom 18 yrs ago
sydney customs are indeed more strict, but if you can justify the item as a necessity, then there shouldn't be any problem. I was able to bring in milk powder and biscuits for my son. They are more particular about fresh produce versus packaged goods.

Katetam 18 yrs ago
They are strict. They inspected EVERY item that I brought into Australia for my baby. Formula, baby food, and teething rusks.

Fortunately, my jarred foods were Heinz, by Australia.... and the teething rusks too. Formula, they were quite "iffy" about it, but seeing I only had 2 cans... they let it go. The baby foods in a jar, they were SO ready to take them away from me.... but when they saw made in Australia... they said, Oh then it's fine.

So maybe you can try to buy stuff made in Australia, or NZ... they will let you in without problems.

Meiguoren 18 yrs ago
The whole point is to keep out bugaboos or things that could contaminate crops (e.g. weeds, seeds, fleas). Forget fresh apples but don't see why formula would be a problem! Send an e-mail to consulate where you live to clarify.

Katetam 18 yrs ago
Yes, the formulas had to be unopened. They didn't say I wasn't allowed to bring in formula, I think they understand it's a necessity. However, they did look at where it was made from... and inspected the can.....

Katetam 18 yrs ago
They went through EVERY bag, and slot..... and the dogs were all over the bag containing these items.... don't think the chocolate would work..... they just have to see the inside of the bag, and sees all these other edible items....

singapore-mom 18 yrs ago
Wow.. what a scene.. every single slot?

But the last 2 times which i went to sydney, the last being last year october, not one of them inspect my bags.. must be pretty luck then...??

This time, my whole gang will be going through the Brisbane airport custom... hopefully everything goes on smoothly. Fingers crossed.

DakLak2 18 yrs ago
The difference is between processed and unprocessed foodstuffs.

Processed is usually cooked - and therefore safe.

Always found a liberal dusting of powdered aniseed will fix the dogs - one good sniff - it numbs their sense of smell (old army concealment training). Another is mothballs - wrap the material in thick plastic. Wipe down and then place inside another bag with a liberal quantity of mothballs.Good enough for Durian fruit.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad