Should I take birth control pills?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by hmmmm 18 yrs ago
I am in a dilemma whether I should take birth control pills or not. I want to take the pills because I don't want any unwanted pregnancy, but at the same time I am not sexually active. My bf lives in the US and I see him about once every 2 months. I heard there are many side effects with taking the pills, I am not sure if it's worth taking them. Any advice?

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Claire 18 yrs ago
Make sure you have emergency contraceptive pills to hand should a condom "fail". These pills are very safe and do not have the long-term side effects which concern you of the 'regular' pill.

Some women like to use the sponge or cap although others do not like the inconvenience of insertion.

Other non-barrier alternatives are contraceptive implants (chemical again though) and the 'coil' or IUD or IUS. Both these methods have the advantage of no-user failure should your excitement at seeing your boyfriend again cause you to forget to use anything... does happen!

Ed 18 yrs ago
Klipper is banned. Sarcastic comments are unacceptable.

hkkm 18 yrs ago
Side effects of taking the pill depends on which brand you take, and on the individual. Some people have side effects, some don't. The only way you will know if you will have side effects is by taking them.

If you do decide to take them, go to the doctor to get a recommendation. Even though you can buy several brands from the pharmacy, a doctor may be able to recommend one that may suit you better.

snuffles 18 yrs ago
I take the Pill for my complexion rather than for my birth control needs - I always use a condom.

But if you need contraception just for 2 month intervals, I'd say it wasn't worth it. Some women experience problems with fertility later in life, and it may take you a while to find one that suits you. However, if you have other problems like overly heavy period and acne, it's certianly a contraceptive with benefits.

But otherwise, I think Claire's information is pretty comprehensive.

tia 18 yrs ago
I have an IUD, hormonal type(Mirena). I love it. You can get non-hormonal types (copper or Paraguard) if you don't want to worry about mood swings or possible hormonal side effects.

I only see my hubby once every 2 or 3 months, but I like not having to worry about it for the next 5 years.

Talk to a doctor before you start taking any form of hormonal birth control.

hmmmm 18 yrs ago
Thanks all for your comments. I did see a family doctor and she did some tests on me and she recommends taking Diane 35. Since I am already taking medicine for my acne, she thinks this bc pill is the best and I can stop taking my antibiotic.

For snuffles, I was wondering which brand are you taking for your complexion?

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad