dispute with workmen on damages

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by tioga 10 yrs ago
I have a most undesirable situation regarding my flat's renovation work and last installment of money , 35K,“owed” to the manager roofer / workman hired. The roof of my flat was previously badly cracked in most of the rooms. The roofer, along with his young “professional” roof drilling contractors were negligent in their works resulting in damages in all the beds, doors, wardrobes, TV cupboard and many of the windows. Damages being cracks on wall and floor tiles, chips in the wood, rips in the leather / pvc bed frame and scratches on window and window frame and guard. Initially the said furnitures were not covered with the thin white and blue stripped plastic / newspaper they finally used. On complaining to the manager roofer, he got his young “professional” roof drilling contractors to cover, though done in a highly unsatisfactorily way, not covering windows, tiles, etc.

The work is now finished, and on “tidying” up his equipment he made the flat look comparatively more “liveable” to when they were doing their drilling. On a quick look at the flat, we discovered the damages, the manager denying all only willing to compensate for two beds and saying the rest of the damages were either caused by us, were there already and wanted us to pay their remaining third installment – 5K HKD as compensation. However we estimate the damages are in the region of 40K, likely more if include windows.

Is there an organisation we can speak to, who can help, so the manager knows we, as a young couple, are serious. Are surveyors the best option? They are a costly 18K for a thorough investigation. According to the surveyors they will check the quality of the works done by the roofing company (who hired young part time indian drillers, the chinese manager was rarely there, only seen twice in ~2months) was satisfactorily, investigate the likely cause of damages so we can press for compensation if need be. contact police as well an ombudsman / surveyor? Please give helpful advice.

Thanks in advance

thoroughly unsatisfied with the workmen

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
tioga 10 yrs ago
i have discovered Photos of before their work of some of the damaged areas, like uncracked tiles, and unchipped cupboards, and photos of clear negligence, like uncovered tiled floors, windows, all of which have now been damaged, l know this will make it as crystal clear as possible, that his denials are just utter lies and he owes me , rather me owing him

tioga 10 yrs ago
sorry for being long winded, but what organisations should quality surveyors belong to? as it does seem very costly, at 18K HKD for an ~2hour investigation.

RS1234 10 yrs ago
I.speak Cantonese and have contractor experience. Maybe, I can help reconciliation. My email is robin.ho64@yahoo.com

tioga 10 yrs ago
thanks for reply, but how can you help us reconcile? he is unwilling to give me any money and only expects money from myself to him. consumer council a good option? or just going with a private surveyor report on the quality of work and report on damages caused? then to take report to police or solicitor?

tioga 10 yrs ago
thanks for advice, we arranged for the surveyor , chief engineer is HKIE certified l been informed, report on quality of work and damages will be made they informed us. the workman denies any damage other than the beds, and is now willing to waiver 10k of the 35k still owed in 3d installment, we still to meet where we will request a 25k waiver, unlikely l think so we likely go for the survey report route and solicitor. whould we go for a legal aid solicitor? and that money is reimbursed upon winning right? and it should cost <25k owed right?

tioga 10 yrs ago
18k for the survey report, ouch, so 7k for solictor should be fine right? and appt free?

tioga 10 yrs ago
we will tolerate the full waiver of 3rd installment of 35k. the consumer council has been contacted and they're kindly treating the case as urgent and a letter to the workman has already been sent. please comment.

It is almost certain the workman won't waive the complete 3rd installment, 35K. This sum would be insufficient to cover the damages his young Bangladeshi workmen caused, some who had been in Hong Kong for < 1 year therefore working illegally. My wife and I will tolerate this amount, 35k. Can we just refuse to pay the third installment? Leaving the onus on him to pursue us?

we could also plan on cancelling the exorbitant surveyor visit, and only have another workman detailing the damages with costs of repair; also have lots of photographic evidence showing sheer negligence and damages caused by the your Bangladeshi workmen. please comment

tioga 10 yrs ago
legally he will inevitably lose as we have the photographic evidence and costs of repair of damages he caused provided by other workmen, which easily exceed 35K. If he is unwise and chooses the illegal path, the police already issued my spouse with a case number because of his threatening message sent to mobile, and consumer council also know about the case and have issued us a case number , is it therefore necessary to have costly surveyors, to check? please comment

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad