Girls travelling Vietnam

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by lulu 18 yrs ago
Hi I am going vietnam Saigon by myself for 2 days,then my female friend will join me to go to resort area in Phan Thiet. As we are girls, is there anything i have to pay extra attention? Is Saigon safe to go out? I will NOT hang out much in the evening but think joing a local tour should be fine right? How to deal with the money? Will they accept HKD dollars there? Or we use to bring USD to exhange there? I know many people been to vietnam in AX, just liek to share. Thanks.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
tia 18 yrs ago
I went with a girl friend and we were told to be aware of kids trying to hug you and play with you, as they target women (we supposedly like kids - HA!) and they will pickpocket you.

Take USD and get some Dong at the bank or airport as well. 2000HKD is over 4 million dong, I believe. HKD is not a favourite currency. USD or Dong is best.

INSANELY cheap eats and drinks in Vietnam and oh so good.

Saigon is safe, but like everything else, just be wise and careful.

Ed 18 yrs ago
I have been to Vietnam many times and never had a problem with theft or any form of crime. Saigon is completely safe as is Phan Tiet.

As for currency, you can readily change most popular foreign currencies - or you can pay for things in USD.

My recommendation is to jump in a cab when you arrive (make sure they have meter - cost is around $5 into town - District 1) and stop at the HSBC which is located next to the central post office and Notre Dame Cathedral

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~voyageur/Photos/be.jpg

in D1 and use your cash card to remove money. If I recall you can take max US$200 per transaction.

lulu 18 yrs ago
Thanks for the advise and feedback! especially Ed!

Will Stay in the main district in HCM, so i think i will stick to what Ed has advised and will do the exchange there.

Is Sinhcafe the famous travel agent that i can join the local tour there?

Ed 18 yrs ago
For tours go to Pham Vu Lau - its the backpacker area 5 mins from D1. You can book tours for far less than in the big hotels

DakLak 18 yrs ago
Sinh Cafe is notorious - not famous.

Tips for women: Use Vina cab (female drivers can be supplied); before getting in any cab make sure there is a numbered decal behind rear side window - and make a note of it; NEVER GET IN A UNMARKED CAB - pirate/unsafe; avoid motorcyles (xe om); wear bag/camera straps over shoulders with bag in front; walk on inside of sidewalks - be aware of motorcycle snatch thieves.

For a hotel, downtown, USD$25/room/twin/night - recommend the Indochine Hotel, 40-42 Hai Ba Trung Street (@ Dung Du), District 1. Tel: 84-8-822-0082

Fax: 84-8-822-0085; e-mail: info@indochinehotel.com; www: < www.indochinehotel.com >

The Vietnamese males will respect you; the Foreigners will do what they always do - think they are the answer to what ails you.

Ed 18 yrs ago
Sinh Cafe is notorious? Please elaborate on that.

Snatch thieves - I have been to vietnam more than 30 times and the only time I ever encoutered a snatch thief was the first time in 1991 - and the thief was a Vietnamese women who tried to bump into me outside the Ben Thanh market and pull cash from my waist bag.

As for cabs, I have never encountered a 'pirate cab'. The only problem that I have ever had with a cab was late at night when the meter began rolling over about 5x faster than it should have - that was quickly solved by a threat to call the police.

I agree with avoiding motorcycles - I would avoid riding on a motorcycle in any city because they are death traps.

I have been to all corners of Vietnam and in my opinion its as safe as Hong Kong or Singapore. Take the same precautions you would in any city and you will be fine - no need to be paranoid.

lulu 18 yrs ago
ed> wow, you been to Vietnam so many times?!

I will noted down the notes here and make be get a guide book or look at the net too,which book & site is the best one?

Ed 18 yrs ago
Try Lonely Planet.

balzac 18 yrs ago
i wonder why Ed needs to go to Vietnam so often??

ANYWAY..have a nice trip to Vietnam. I'd love to go as well and make some Ao Dai

Ed 18 yrs ago
I get a lot of free stuff... and I like Vietnam

wildorchid 18 yrs ago
lulu, it's a plenty of taxin companies in SGN nowadays! Take the ones with dark green letters (Mai linh / Deluxe) on their cars/crests. For me, they are the best in town and they ask for tip less than any other taxi. Don't be surprised if taxi drivers don't have 2-3.000VND change, they just want it as a tip.

Don't be worried about safety in there but some care is never redundant.

Sinh Cafe is quite professional and they don't cheat. The service is very cheap.

Just to correct Ed a bit, the name of the street is Pham Ngu Lao - opposite of Ben Thanh market. That is the backpackers' area and Sinh cafe is also there.

Bring US or euro with you. Change it at the aiport for taxi, at least. Then you can change money at any banks downtown.

Food there is what I love most!

Ed 18 yrs ago
Yes the food... if you have a chance drop by Lemongrass for the seafood soup - its in the lane behind Brodard cafe.

wildorchid 18 yrs ago
How many days you have altogether and whoat is your rough plan!

I think 5 days at least!

FYI, The Lemongrass restaurant is in the lane on the right hand side of Sheraton.

If you want to have a good soft shell crap for a reasonable price, check out the address of the 4 seasons restaurant!

lulu 18 yrs ago
Wow! looking forward for that. I love soft shell crab!!

Thanks a lot , everyone. :)

Happy Xmas and hope i can have a wonderful New Year in Vietnam!

lulu 18 yrs ago
Heard that the Qi shisedo Spa is a good place to go too? Any idea? How about Saigon Spa?

wildorchid 18 yrs ago
Hey, Qi Shisheido Spa is good there. It's just next to the Omni/Marco Polo hotel, on the way to and from the airport to downtown.

Many other good spa in town. Just ask at the hotel reception, they must be able to give some good advice.

Enjoy the time there!

williamdinh 18 yrs ago
Hi,

It is security in saigon for night go out,, You can walk for shopping until 10:00 pm everyday.you should book the hotel near center,,it is around 25-30 usd /room/nite for a nice room. you should take some Usd cash or change in VN Dong in money exchange shop. it is very easy to find to them.

Phan thiet-Nice beach in viet nam-200km from Ho chi Minh city, we can take the bus for there(5-6 hours). I am in Ho chi minh city , I can help you you need my advise

William Dinh (promalevn@yahoo.com)

wildorchid 18 yrs ago
Sorry for the wrong name of soft shell crabs: instead of 4 seasons, it's THREE REGIONS: 122B Tran Quoc Thao, District 3. I enjoy very much the food and the ambience there.

lulu 18 yrs ago
I am in HCM now, last inght tried Lemon Grass, lucky i get a seat cos they turn down walk in customer and all need reservations! I did a HCM city tour today...very tired and i got a bit of food poisoning ...dunno what kind of food, may be the juice yogort i had....:(. Will rest early, should be ok!

Thanks for all the bits and pieces. I did book the tour fron sinh cafe and the car to phan thiet for tomorrow! fingers cross.

ynhilee1 18 yrs ago
Lulu,

How did you do the rest of your vietnam trip?

Sylvia

lulu 18 yrs ago
hi ynhilee1

I had a very nice trip in HCMC and i already went there again in August with my other group of friends. I like the food there. We had 4 person together so we can order a lot and only cost about 40 HKD per person a meal. We really went to some great resturant. I also went to Mekong Delta and the cui-chi tunnel, which was great as well. My friend think the shopping is not that good but i like vietnam and i do not shop that much there this time. Still think HK is better for shopping.

ynhilee1 18 yrs ago
Lulu,

How much did it cost you guys for the Mekong Delta and Cu Chi Tunnel tour? We will be there in 2 months.

Thanks again!

Sylvia

zoe 18 yrs ago
I go there 2 times a years been doing that since 1998.It's a safe place to be even on if you own your own. Pick pocket are everywhere so where ever you are be extra careful of your valuable.Most taxi driver and shopping in HCMC accept USD dollar and the exchange rate as standard 1USD to 15K Dong so small USD notes comes really handy.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad