suggestion for classifieds

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by mixeymum 15 yrs ago
I love the free classifieds and often buy great stuff from them. When I first looked at this site, about 8 years ago, it was great, but now the "household furnishings" is so hard to look through as you need to trawl through hello kitty plastic bags for sale, used plastic buckets, used clipboards and local traders who post thier new goods up almost daily (at higher than market price anyway, hoping to catch a new expat I'm guessing). Ed, can you somehow make some more categories for maybe specifically furniture and another for small stuff under $50? What do you think?

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Ed 15 yrs ago
Good idea - I've changed Free to Free and Under HKD50

Ed 15 yrs ago
We've added a new category this morning - you now have Free and another for Under $50.

Hopefully this will be the solution

jillybean 14 yrs ago
Is there an easy way to search for one item, e.g. bed or sofa?

Basker25 14 yrs ago
I would like to see a limit on the number of times an item can be posted. It is annoying to see the same items posted almost daily for many months. I assume that it is a commercial business selling direct to the consumer. From one point of view, everyone selling via classified ads is doing it for the money. From another point of view, maybe the commercial business should be paying for ad space. I just get tired of paging through so many of the same items to find those that are actually new listings.

Ed 14 yrs ago
Unfortunately that wont work - if we ban an account the person can simply re-register a new account using another email address ... :(

Basker25 14 yrs ago
I bought most of my furnishings in my flat through AsiaExpat. I have never sold items, but I have bought plenty. 25% of the people are exceptionally nice. 50% are average people with no extra time to meet people who respond to their ads. The remaining 25% are quite troublesome. They often do not know what to charge. For example, a computer monitor may have cost $2200 when new 2 years old, but the same size model now sells new for $800. It is hard to convince them that $1500 is an unreasonable price. They are not bad people, but they just don't know any better. I absolutely hate sellers who are not ready to sell or want me to bid on their item. If I spend 90 minutes traveling across HK and back to look at something, I don't want to hear that the seller is waiting for a higher price. If I know it is a bid situation, I won't waste my time. I often talk with women who are hesistant to have a strange man come to her flat to look something. If I was them, I would also probably feel a little fearful. Whenever my wife accompanies me, they always calm down. It is weird, but I understand it.

I estimate that 10-15% of sellers are not nice people. It is a little frustrating, but it isn't AsiaExpat's fault. It is just human nature.

I like to look at all items for sale in my district. It was difficult for me sort through the listings until I discovered that I can do a search in my district using "a" in the search field. It works very nicely.

Overall, I am very happy with how it is run.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad