Haircuts for very fine, thin, straight western hair.

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Sarsky 19 yrs ago
Hi,

I've lived in HK for 3 years and have yet to find a 'reasonably' priced hairdresser who knows what to do with very fine straight hair like mine. Not only is it very fine it's also not very dense.

I attempted to go to a local hairdressers but was put off when she said my har needed thining down.(Was she blind!!!....it's limp and lifeless already)

I've also seen several friends brave local hairdressers with disasterous outcomes. The worse cases have been when they've tried to do a 'chinese' style on their hair because they have naturally stright hair. Just doesn't translate onto thin/fine hair.

I'm looking for somewhere that will charge a sensible sum. Paid $900 at the hyatt last time for a cut that looked the same when i left as when i arrived. Help!!!

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
snuffles 19 yrs ago
I have very fine, thin and a little bit wavey hair. I always get mine done by Fernando at Toni & Guy Central, and he's fabulous. Chinese guy but trained in London so can cut both Western and Chinese hair. I don't know exactly how much he is, around $750 I think (I get a discount), but worth every penny.

Maybe what the hairdresser meant by 'thinning down' was 'taking the weight off'. With my thin hair, the minute it gets too long and heavy it sits flat against my head, so taking the excess weight out is very important.

*V* 19 yrs ago
Popular discussion:

http://hongkong.asiaxpat.com/forums/womenonly/threads/63669.asp

WomanWithBrain 19 yrs ago
I have the same problem. Whoever the hairdresser is, I always give them the following rules and if I see them doing their own thing I say so. I'm sure I'm a pain but it's my hair and I've had enough disasters!

Firstly, straight fine hair needs to be above the shoulders to look healthy. If it's any longer it will just go flat. If it hits the shoulders it'll flick out.

Second - unless you are going short, layers need to be few, and long (i.e. just at the bottom and front).

Third - tell them not to razor your hair. (That thing where they draw a razor or the scissor blade against your hair to layer or thin it.) It always gives me split ends.

If you go in with these rules and they do what you ask, you shouldn't come away too unhappy.

Straight fine hair in good condition has a great shine to it so modern bobs are a good option.

Maybe a couple of layers to stop it from flicking out (or to get it to do so if you prefer) and the length graduated up to your face.

MaryKay 19 yrs ago
I get my hair done by 2 different salons and I have thin, blond hair and extremly straight and I get hair cut, highlight and treatment and I pay 450-500 for everything. I've been here for 7 years and I'm happy with both places. If you want morre details just send me a private message. I'm going Nov3 if you want to join me.

Sarsky 19 yrs ago
Hi MaryKay,

I would love to find out more about the two places you go. Can you email me the name and location to my private email if you prefer. sarahbrain@hotmail.com

Thanks Sarsky

sara-k 19 yrs ago
I paid $750 for highlights (2 diff. colours) + cut at a small private salon in TST. Its a basic salon nothing like those in Central but its good and the best things is she speaks good english.

低B女bebe 18 yrs ago
I have my hair cut at Toni & Guy with Benny,who is a style director.He is absolutely excellent. He has a lot of international experience in both Australia and London.

canadiangirl 18 yrs ago
I have fine, dead straight hair the last few cuts have been fabulous. I had a longer bob, and now its short similar to aeon flux but less freaky. Again, promoting my hairdress Lauren at the Colour Bar in central. send me a message if you want to know more. prices are cheaper than toni and guy

Aley 18 yrs ago
Hi Sarsky,

My hairdresser is great and my hair is really difficult too. It is fine and curly and he has worked wonders with it.

He isn't cheap, but he has never charged me 900 before.

His name is Gary (he is British) and he works at "Indulgence" (just recently moved there from "The Firm", where he used to be the manager.

The number of the salon is:

2815-6600

I haven't been to his new location yet, but was told, that it is next to "American Nutrition" by Lyndhurst Terrace.

Good luck!

Aley

Miamour9hk 18 yrs ago
I have fine straight hair unlike many local Chinese, although I'm a HK Chinese myself. According to my hairdresser whom I've trusted for more than 5 years now, I have the kinda hair that doesn't need further straightening, no chemical coloring needed etc. I only pay less than $200 for a very very good hair cut that boost my hair volume and texture! I once got a light wavy perm that lasts for almost 8 months for less than $900!! This guy is so well-trained that many times of the year, he's hired by overseas salons. Well... the deed is his salon is all the way in Taipo. If you're interested, drop me a message and let me share my favorite salon with you.

bccl 18 yrs ago
It is easy to go into a good salon and tell them exactly what you want. But what if you don't what suits you? Some people have this hairstyle for years and get so used to it that they think that hairstyle is best for them. I am very scared of trying new hairstyles. I have straightened long hair, would want a different cut, but have had a very bad experience with one of the 'reputable' salons in HK. The stylist kept saying 'trust me' and chopped my waist long hair to a such a short lenght, my husband's was longer than mine. It took me a year to grow back.

I therefore sometimes prefer to see the end result (pictures)before committing myself.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad