Change of faulty lock

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by MNKT 11 yrs ago
When I moved into the leased apartment, I did not change the locks. One day we were not able to open the door when the key was stuck in the keyhole. Unable to contact the landlord, we called in a locksmith to open the door and change the locking mechanism. The amount is not very big but who should be responsible for the cost? I believe it should be the landlord as the door and the lock is part of the "structure" of the apartment, which is the landlord's responsibility according to the lease.

The landlord refuses to pay so should I send him a letter and just deduct it from the next rent payment?

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Shoe Girl 11 yrs ago
As the amount is not very big, why don't you just pay for it yourself, especially since you've said that the landlord is refusing to pay?

Boofit 11 yrs ago
Much depends on the cause of the key being stuck. Very often it is due to the key being inserted in the wrong way and force (mis)applied. Even with new locks this sort of problem could happen (unless the lock is one of higher quality expensive ones)

Unless the locksmith tells you that the problem was caused by malfunction of the lock mechanism due to ageing or other structural factors, it will be difficult to allege that this is the landlord's liability, particularly since it was in good order when you moved into the flat.

bob the builder 11 yrs ago
Simply change the lock at your expense and then when you leave, just take out your lock barrel and put the broken one (owner's possesion) back into the door. It is very easy to change the barrel and only requires a screw driver.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad