How do mums start out at new a enviroment?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by meteorgarden 18 yrs ago
Hi to all mums,

How do you start out at a new enviroment and make friends?With no

friends and unfamiliar places around?And most of the time have to take care little baby.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
my thoughts 18 yrs ago
It depends a bit on the age of your child, but for me, playgroups were a good place to start. Then you're with your baby and also with other mums who have a child around the same age as yours. As yours gets older, you'll meet more mums who become friends at other activities your child get's involved in, music class, soccer tots, playgrounds, school....

There are several organizations that sponsor baby groups for new mums, the American Women's Association is one (www.awa.org.hk). Membership is cheap and they always have interesting things going on. Quite a few things oriented toward newcomers to Hong Kong as well. And, in case you were worried, the AWA is a very international organization, despite it's name.

Hope you settle in soon and start to enjoy it here :-)

Wheelymate 18 yrs ago
be thick-skinned!!

granted, i am not in a new environment but i have had to make new friends v quickly after my baby

arrived as all my close friends are single and working, let alone have kids - not fun being cooped up at home

the entire day!

what i did:

1) joined a playgym and make new friends for you and bub!

2) i do alot of household shopping and errands at a mall near me that is thankfully baby-friendly - have made new mummy friends just by chatting them up at the coffee places there!

3) many mums on this forum are based in HK and i am sure you can try making friends via this avenue too! i have also met another mummy based in sg through this forum.

4) join international groups, etc as suggested by my thoughts. i am in a midst of being matched to a playgroup via the new mother's support group here.

good luck and have fun!

celinenyk 18 yrs ago
Hi Meteogarden,

I m also new to hk, jz barely a month here. I am also looking for friends. I am a malaysian chinese and have a 5 years old girl, living in whampao, what about u?

meteorgarden 18 yrs ago
Hi celinenyk,

Pls check your inbox.

abby78 18 yrs ago
hi meteorgarden, you can also check the playgroupd forum, some mom meet twice or once a week, that depends if you are working mom or not, I met a lot of moms here as well, and became my casual friends.

meteorgarden 18 yrs ago
Thanks abby :> Where do you live? Im on east side of hk island.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad