Tie shoelaces for kids.

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by diana siman 18 yrs ago
Can anybody share your experiences during teaching your kids on how to tie their shoelaces? Your frustration and patience? I am just about to burst.

My son is 5 y.o. He told me all the kids in his school knew how to to it, except him.

Thank you guys.......

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
ness 18 yrs ago
I am currently teaching a year 1 class full of five year olds and would be extremely surprised if 1 or 2 out of thirty could tie there laces - we live in the land of velcro!! Still, if he is keen, get a large piece of cardboad and make holes and thread a really long lace like for a football boot and let him practice and practice in his lap... or take a shoe with good length laces and let him practice in his lap. One of the hard things is that it is hard to do when it is on your foot and you are trying to balance/stretch. Patience and practice, practise, practise. Or check out a good children's books shop or amazon / toys r us or similar and you can buy special books with shoes in the back or special plastic toys to practice with but seems a waste of money if you have a shoe! Check out this really obscure site for everything you never needed to know about how to tie shoe laces! http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/

Z 18 yrs ago
Sounds like your kid is finally ready to learn -- I remember not being able to tie my shoes in kindergarten, right up until the day that my little friend helped me tie my shoes with the comment that I knew everything EXCEPT how to tie my shoes. I went home and learned that very afternoon (so I could know everything -- it didn't last long, unfortunately).

diana siman 18 yrs ago
Thanks Ness. He finally managed to tie them, after one hour of grilling. Of course it wasn't perfect yet, but it is a very good achievement from my point of view. From now on, he just need to practice once a day, until he got them right and tight.

For Z, I think you're right. Before, he never even want to learn how to tie them, but after seeing his friends doing it, he told me he want me to teach him.

Anyway, thanks a lot for replying. I think he will be able to do it well very soon.

Meiguoren 18 yrs ago
I remember the moment when I learned to tie mine! My daughter's kindy teacher last year begged her to either learn to tie her own shoes or get velcro. We got the velcro. Since she's my third one, I have more confidence that she will indeed pass these milestones whenever she's ready, and I'm in no hurry to push it!

cd 18 yrs ago
My youngest son was tieing his laces at 5, but he was definately in the minority in his class. There are many at 7 that still can't. He was interested and picked it up really quickly, but if your son's finding it hard, leave it for a little while and try again in a few weeks.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad