business class with no bassinet or Economy with bassinet?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by macaron mania 18 yrs ago
We are traveling to Europe next week. We couldn't reserve a bassinet for business class but could get one for economy. My husband will be in B class as he is on a business trip, so we will be separated if I get economy seat. Which would be easier? Business class together but no bassinet but me and my 3months old will be in the back with a bassinet?

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
white rabbit 18 yrs ago
Hard to say but my bub hates the bassinet he is 4 months I ask for economy with a spare seat next to me such as a window seat that way you can use the tray table next to you so you have more room.. you can not put up the arm rest either if you get bassinet seat and if there is someone sitting next to you its really hard to manage if your bub gets restless.....if you choose to get the bassinet make sure you take a really soft pillow with you as the matresses in bassinet are very hard. which airline are you flying?

goodluck.

Katetam 18 yrs ago
Macaron Mania,

Actually, although the airlines cannot guarantee you the bassinet NOW, when you get to the airport, if you are in the business class, and when you check in, ask again. Either at that time, they are required to give you one b/c you have a baby, (unless they are fully booked with babies at all the bassinet sections)..... OR when you get on board, if you catch them giving a "bassinet" possible seat to a passenger who doesn't need a bassinet (like a businessman or a person who doens't have a baby simply)... they are required to MOVE that passenger and give you that seat. I have done that many times.

This will not work if when you purchase the Business class tickets, and they inform you that there are already X number of babies per booked, thats' why you cannot have the bassinet seats. If not, simply b/c some frequent flyer member has pre-booked the seats with bassinets, that's why they can't say they guarantee the seats right now.

No matter what, I would prefer to be together with hubby b/c he can help hold baby and much more leg room and space for all the necessities......

kar 18 yrs ago
Neither one of my kids ever slept in the bassinet. They just didn't like it. That said, we loved having the business class bulkhead seats. It was especially good when the kids were a bit older and needed some space to play.

I would fly with my husband so that you have an extra pair of hands. My babies usually slept best on the plane when one of us was holding them. If you need to use the toilet while you're alone in economy, what will you do with the baby? Much better if your husband is around. Also if baby spits up or have a nappy explosion, it will be easier having your husband there to help.

Katetam's advice about asking for the bassinet again also sounds good.

Good luck!

crj 18 yrs ago
We had the same case.

But we decided business anyway, and guess what? They managed to ask someone to move and got us the bassinett.... so it all worked out.

CX Bassinett is very deep and comfy. Virgin is so 'shallow' that our baby would roll out easily! So it was useless for us.

macaron mania 18 yrs ago
Thanks everyone for the very good advice! Kar, that is so right. How am I going to use the toilet??? I think I will go for business and ask them to get us a bassinet when we check in. We are flying Virgin, HKG/AThens/London.

However, I have to fly back alone on the way back as there was no seat available....It will be a great challenge. I will fly economy then with bassinet confirmed... If you have any advice as to flying alone with infant, please do post...I really appreciate your help!!!

hkchoichoi 18 yrs ago
I actually found that flying with an infant (3 months) MUCH easier than flying with my daughter when she was a year old. A 3 month old - generally speaking (if you're breastfeeding) if things get rough a quick flip of your shirt, and a breast in his/her mouth generally solved a lot of problems.

One tip that I picked up - to help with air pressure - having your baby breastfeeding (or feed for that matter) during take off and landing helps equalize the pressure in their ears. SO you can do that.

do you read to your baby? I had one small book that I took with me - my daughter would just stare at the pictures, and I would quietly talk her through what everything was. Sometimes reading -sometimes not. Several changes of clothes are good - for you baby and yourself as you never know what will land on you. And if the baby does fall asleep - you sleep too! I actually found that on the plane my daughter slept far better in my arms than in the bassinet, and I didn't find it too difficult to snooze with her in my arms.

good luck.

Wheelymate 18 yrs ago
Hi there,

we flew on economy to UK in august.

going was a nightmare - he didn't sleep in the airport so was overtired by the time we boarded the plane. he screamed before passing out...and did this repeatedly every hour. in the end we took turns having him sleep in our arms. it didn't help that the next aisle, there was a passenger who kept shooting daggers at our direction - the i sure hope your baby doesn't keep us awake all night look. stuff like this you got to ignore because when we got off the flight, there were other passengers with older kids sitting near us and they all said it was ok and they understood perfectly how we felt.

the flight itself was ok but the bassinet wasn't - it was perched too high up and we had to stand up to get baby everytime - the 3 huge safety belt on the bassinet did little to soothe baby...he freaked out about it.

on our flight (another airline) back, it was off to a rocky start too but it got better...we gave him a bottle during takeoff and then he fell asleep in the bassinet pretty much the rest of the flight. the bassinet was more suitable for us - it was at our waist level so bub could see us and we could see him.we knew it was a good flight because the cabin crew actually commented that baby was so well-behaved!

based on my experience, my advice is:

1) ignore dirty looks from other passengers if your baby starts crying.

2) forget about inflight entertainment, sleep when your baby is sleeping because you never know how long the sleep will last and you will need all the energy you can!

3) if you use a sleeping bag at home for baby, don't leave home without it...it will be reassuring for the baby to sleep with it in the bassinet.

4) changing: i changed baby in the bassinet.

good luck!

macaron mania 18 yrs ago
Thanks all for the good advice. Luckly we got a bassinet confirmed finally in b-class, yeay! Thanks for telling me to stick to b-class, crj, katetam, and kar... HKchoichoi, how do you manage to bfeed with an infant seat belt? Wheelymate, I will try not to care too much if she starts crying and starts annoying other passengers. whiterabit, I will ask a seat with an empty seat next to us when we come back in economy alone on the way back!

macaron mania 18 yrs ago
Just wanted to thank you all again for good advice. Our LO survived in the long flight and everyone (flight attendants and some passengers) commented how well behaved she was...notmaking much noise. I am now in a hotel with her while Daddy is attending an off-site. It is quite hard to make her happy all the time, though, without my helper watching her while I take shower, or make milk, or running little chores. She is extra clingy now, and I am wondering if the trip was too tough on her. My sister thinks a trip would just make a baby confused while she is busy trying to figure out where her home is.

tsuiwah 18 yrs ago
i agree with your sister... hopefully, this trip will allow the grandparents to see their grandchild; otherwise, i don't agree with non-essential travel for such a young baby

macaron mania 18 yrs ago
Yeah, I woudn't have made this trip so early if it wasn't for the business trip scheduled...It was just very convenient because we have family in Europe including the great grandma who is 96 years old!!! I hope our LO will take the trip well and somehow enjoys the story of her first trip to her root when we show her the pictures later in her life: )

Wheelymate 18 yrs ago
Hi,

I took our baby to UK in august to visit family for the 1st time. honestly, was very reluctant to do it as i expected it to be distressing - long haul flight, getting baby used to different places, new places to sleep, feeding, etc. and true enough it was tough and i'm glad my in-laws will visit us next year instead and we only make another UK trip in summer. BUT when i saw how excited my in-laws were to see baby and how people made the effort to accomodate us and how baby took well to the new faces, i think it was worth the inconvenience. it felt good to know that we were exposing our bub to life beyond the confines of his cot and the usual faces and places in singapore.

macaron mania 18 yrs ago
Wheelymate, it is so true what you said. My mother in law organized an open house for all the important people in my husband's path to meet our LO, and I was first very distressed as I believed she would not like meeting so many people possibly bringing in lots of germs!!! But hey, she took it so well and I am proud of her and thankful for my in-laws who made so much efforts to organized this event for us. It is always a bit stressful to meet many people, but in the end, we are glad we did it. It made me realized how much our LO is loved and cherished by many people. The flights were not bad at all, she slept mostly and if she was awake, she was not screaming or crying. We cuddled her, walked her in the isle, chatted, etc, and she was fine. It was only myself who was a bit stressed out that we couldn't get a seat in premium economy class in Vergin flight, but it turned out the young chinese man who sat next to me was so nice to us, giving helping hands and not complaining about the bassinet disturbing the view of his TV screen. (Poor guy had to lean forward to see the TV screen as it did not come right up because of the bassinet and the flight was full!)

But next time I would book premium economy from the beginning as it would give us more private space especially for breastfeeding.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad