Penang or Langkawi

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by maz27 16 yrs ago
I've been to Kota Kinabalu and now fancy trying somewhere else in Malaysia with my 2 children. Spent the last 2hrs reading through comments about kid friendly hotels in a certain website and its left me feeling nervous about the hotel/resort.

Can anyone share any thoughts where they stayed with a toddler and a nearly teenager please?

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Info Seeker 16 yrs ago
I've been to Langkawi with two kids ages 5 and 8 - stayed at the Pelangi - kids club was a bit lame, but the pool was good, especially for younger kids. Sorry - haven't been to Penang.

Have you considered the Club Med at Cherating? (fly from KL to Kuantan) By the time we paid for food, accommodation, etc. at Pelangi, Langkawi, we'd spent almost as much as we did at club med Cherating. CM has lots to do, really nice beach and takes kids all ages in Kids Club, which is tiered, based on age. There are also loads of other activities (sports, circus, batik), fantastic food and nightly entertainment. My kids loved it there.

victoriabc 16 yrs ago
Langkawi is much better than Penang. Try Sheraton.

CathyTan 16 yrs ago
Hi maz27 Since you have been to KK, did you go for scuba diving. Which hotel would you recommend and which area for scuba dive

Thanks

singapore-mom 16 yrs ago
Westin Langkwai (formely Sheraton) or Four Seasons are the best in Langkwai.

For scuba diving, visit www.islands.com.my

ldsllvn 16 yrs ago
how would you get to Langkawi from HK with kids - does anyone know if there are direct flights? Not sure I want 2 connecting ones, but dont think there is a direct one?

singapore-mom 16 yrs ago
No direct flights from HK to Langkwai. Must via Kuala Lumpur (MH) or Singapore (SQ). Or you may fly CX direct to penang then take the ferry to Langkwai.

For kids, Bintan is more appropriate, which only 1 hour ferry from Singapore.

Joyce Xu 16 yrs ago
i have been Sheraton in Langkawi. It's nice. I saw many families went there for fun with their little kids. it may be a good choice.

ldsllvn 16 yrs ago
sorry to but in again - how long is the ferry to Langkawi from Penang? thank you~

singapore-mom 16 yrs ago
http://www.langkawi-ferry.com/

singapore-mom 16 yrs ago
There also a budget airline from Hong Kong to Kuala Lumpur LCCI. Then same day connect to Langkwai. Go to www.airasia.com

Wheelymate 16 yrs ago
penang to langkawi on ferry - about 2 hours from what i remember? i booked the tickets from the ferry booth at the KOMTAR building....mind you that was in 2001!!

i have been to both penang (2001) and langkawi a few more times, the last visit in 2007. we love langkawi, very laidback although don't expect crystal clear waters like the maldives or anything. friends have stayed at pelangi and loved it. i loved casa del mar before hubby and i were married and last year we went to the tanjung rhu with my toddler, which was lovely too.

ldsllvn 16 yrs ago
wheelymate - is it far to get to the ferry from the airport - we have 2 toddlers and connecting flights are so hard with them! so am looking at alternative ways to get there!!

FunchalPP 16 yrs ago
From Penang airport, it takes about 30 mins by taxi to get to the ferry terminal.

The taxi price is fixed by zones and you buy a taxi coupon from the taxi booth( after collecting luggage & exiting the customs check)

It's about 3 hrs ride by ferry and there's only 2 departures per day:

Penang to Langkawi - around 8.15am & 8.30am(via P. Payar).

Langkawi - Penang - 2.30pm (via P. Payar) & 5.15pm

The tickets are sold at the Penang/Langkawi ferry terminal. We bought our return ticket when we arrived at Langkawi.

Moge 16 yrs ago
We just got back from a holiday in Penang with 2 kids (3 mths and 2 years old) and loved it. Stayed at the RasaSayang, v kid friendly and there are plenty of teenagers for yours to play with. The adventure zone is good for both older and younger kids. Beach is OK, better than Langkawi but too many jelly fish to swim in at this time of year.

Food in Penang is fantastic esp in the street market about 15min walk from the hotel.

Best time of year is around now, we had awesome weather.

(I am based in HK)

jamiekoh 16 yrs ago
Personally, I don't really favor Langkawi.... but surely love Pulau Paya. You can get a day trip from Langkawi to this island for snorkeling or diving ...Those like to stay dry can just walk through the man-made bridge towards the water and admire the colorful coral and fishes with naked eye! Awesome!

BryanH 10 yrs ago
Penang for the food and the "old Singapore" style vibe, Penang Hill and that it's still OLD ASIA - Langkawi for beaches, rainforest and stunning hotels like The Datai... :)

http://www.lhw.com/hotel/The-Datai-Langkawi-Langkawi-Malaysia

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad