hair product residue

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by annebin 18 yrs ago
Can anyone recommend a good product or a home-made recipe to remove buildup of hair products? I saw one in a book and tried the equal amounts of lemon juice and water but I can't spot any difference afterwards.

I shampoo and condition daily (sometimes 2x if I work out or swim), also because I use clay to sculpt my hair almost everyday. How often do I need a clarifying shampoo?

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
bimmerboy 18 yrs ago
I use vinegar with water to soak my hair into it for about 1 min after shampooing, massage you sculpt then rinse with the same vinegar water then. I do it once a week to remove all the hair product residue, try it and you will find hair so soft and clean after drying it without any smell. Hope it's help.

turtle1 18 yrs ago
I don't have any homemade recipes but the clarifying shampoo by Origins is quite good.

bimmerboy 18 yrs ago
Actually I use apple cider vinegar....

Claire 18 yrs ago
Douglas> What about recommendations for shampoos without SLS which I wish to avoid?

annebin 18 yrs ago
Thanks Douglas!

I use Finesse shampoo alternating with Flex and Pantene (I get tired of the smell) + conditioner most of the time. Plus I do in-shower treatments 2-3x a week using a product called Hair Password (Japanese brand).

I recently had a haircut (and am not happy with it) with a hairdresser mentioned in this forum, so now I cannot go out without Sebastian sculpting clay. I like this particular hair product cos it's matte finish, not greasy nor sticky and I can style my hair with great flexibility. The thing is, I feel that the build-up is not easy to get rid off.

I have tried shampooing every other day but I can't stand not going to bed without washing my hair

And Douglas, I think you're a gem in this forum--I have learned a lot from your posts!

Sapphire 18 yrs ago
Douglas, here's a bit of a daft question, but can you explain to me exactly what you mean by "Professional Products"? I normally use Mark Hill or Vidal Sassoon shampoo/conditioner, but I have sometimes used other products such as Revlon Flex, L'Oreal, Clairol, etc. Are any of these what you would class a "Professional" ... and what's the difference ... why are "professional" ones better for my hair than other products? Thanks.

Sapphire 18 yrs ago
Thanks Douglas, that's explained a lot ... basically, I've been wasting my money for years on products which I assumed were good for my hair! I'll be tracking down some of the ones you mentioned ... are they all available in HK? ... Where should I look for them? Thanks!

Claire 18 yrs ago
Douglas> Back on the SLS question, I find it causes a skin irritation even though it's on the skin only briefly. I also use a non-SLS shower gel. I have sensitive skin and even some lip salves cause my lips to blister. This is why I look for non-SLS (and some other chemical-free) products. So I look forward to reading your post on this - particularly on shampoos as they are few and far between.

Scissors 18 yrs ago
Does anyone know where i can get Sencience? Is it any good on flyaway (prone to frizzy) wavy hair? and what about Aveda (i know you have mentioned some of their products Douglas. But what about the shapoo/conditioner? I find their products so uplifting (they make me really happy) to use, but are they acid balanced/helping my hair?

annebin 18 yrs ago
Douglas,

Thanks heaps for opening my eyes! I buy these drugstore brands not only for the cost, but also for the smell (and sometimes the packaging too). Admittedly, I'm a sucker for these mass-produced lines that are marketed and packaged to attract people like me.

I'm not very fussy with my hair products as I have normal (albeit fine) hair that's easy to cut, style and maintain. No frizzies, no curls and no fly aways, so my thinking is I can use ANY type of shampoo (as long as they smell good). Guess I'm wrong..so wrong.

But now that you've mentioned some products that I should be using to stop maltreating my hair, I'd better chuck those out.

What about the fruity line of Clairol Herbal Essences? I have those in my shower. And what about Schwarzkof wax? I have that too, but prefer Sebastian because of the texture and finish.

Which 2 among the brands that I'm using should I veer away from? If you can't mention it here, can you send me a PM instead? Would really appreciate it.. But if you can, it will benefit other posters too..Just the first letter will do.. Thanks again

annebin 18 yrs ago
Last question Douglas--

What are your thoughts on Neutrogena clarifying shampoo? (and their other products)

Claire 18 yrs ago
Douglas> I saw a bottle of Senscience (dry hair) in the pharmacy which does not contain SLS. Is this the one you mean (ie Sencience = Senscience) ?

Claire 18 yrs ago
Will do. Very reasonably priced and lovely smell!

Claire 18 yrs ago
Will have to give the Nioxin a miss otherwise I'll be scratching my scalp all day...

Claire 18 yrs ago
Appreciate you taking the time...

Scissors 18 yrs ago
Hello,

I've been looking for Senscience. Can anyone tell me where I can find it? Cheers

Claire 18 yrs ago
Scissors> I saw it in Fanda in Central.

voiceofreason 18 yrs ago
hi Douglas, what do you think of TIGI S-Factor Smoothing Shampoo and Conditioner ("shines and rehydrates")? it is available at a salon here in manila (but exhorbitantly priced vs, say, eBay or other online stores). is it a good brand/product?

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad