Careless Driving

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by nygirl 11 yrs ago
Hi All,

A few days ago I got caught turning right into a street in Causeway Bay where I wasn't allowed to. I did it right in front of a policeman (how stupid - seriously had no idea I was not allowed). Anyway he pulls me over with the flashing lights and then calls 2 more police cars. Was kept there for almost 20 minutes and then finally he called another car who had a translator (even though he spoke fluent English). They told me I would receive a summons in the mail and will need to go to court! Seriously??? I already received a careless driving charge a few years ago (a car and I bumped into each other in a carpark and we were both fined). I just don't understand why this is an offense that needs to be prosecuted and dealt with in court. Also does this mean I now have a criminal record?

THanks for any information

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
sugarshane76 11 yrs ago
Hey nygirl, I have had careless driving charge too. It is ridic you have to go court and noone can attend on your behalf. You basically have to go, plead guilty, cop a fine and head upstairs to pay it on the spot. Mine was a car accident that was my fault, no criminal record I believe, just sounds worse than it is becoz you are made to attend court. There are demerit points too I think. good luck.

Oski 11 yrs ago
Traffic infractions are not "criminal"

you are not pleading guilty to a "criminal" charge, just a traffic citation.

You do not have "criminal" record. (unless it is a very serious charge, such as reckless endangerment, or hit and run, etc. etc.)

Many countries/jurisdictions make the offending driver appear in front of a traffic judge.

The court appearance together with the fine are the punishment for breaking traffic laws.

nygirl 11 yrs ago
Thank you both for your reply. Just waiting for the lovely summons to arrive now :)

190k 11 yrs ago
Careless Driving conviction are not recorded on ones Criminal Record, only on a Traffic Conviction Record

henxyvan 10 yrs ago
Dear All,

I have encountered similar situation (turning right at a round about). When I stopped the car, a police car just passed by and asked me what happened. I told them I was lost and thus turning right at a round about. The police said that I would be charged by careless driving and would receive a court's summon shortly.

It's been 2 months but I didn't receive any summon from the court. Shall I check with Police and what would be the amount of the fine if this is my first traffic offence.

Many thanks.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad