Indian spices

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by nasi lemak girl 16 yrs ago
I love cooking and eating Indian food but hate buying the spices in those ridiculously small and expensive jars. Anyone know where I can bulk buy cayenne, cumin coriander, mustard seeds etc etc in Hong Kong? Also does anyone know where I can buy dried lentils, chickpeas and beans? Thanks very much curry lovers out there.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
maycchk 16 yrs ago
I got all my indian spices from Ground Floor of Chung King Mansion. From the entrance just go straight and you can see the shop on the right corner side of the stairs. The prices are good and many kind of stuffs you can find there, spices, dried beans, ghee basmati rice etc.

Anissa 16 yrs ago
Hi - where is Chung King Mansion? (Am new to HK)

I have heard there is an Indian spice store in Wanchai. Anyone know where this is?

thanks!

Ed 16 yrs ago
Chung King Mansion - Nathan Rd TST:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chungking_Mansions

Ed 16 yrs ago
Good article on Chungking Mansion:

When Hong Kong refers to itself as "Asia's World City" it means the well-ordered worldliness of big banks, fine hotels and a philharmonic. The local tourism board would probably prefer that you didn't think of the worldliness of Nepalese sex workers, Bangladeshi hash dealers and Nigerian men trading used PCs by the container load. But this other Hong Kong can be found across Victoria Harbour, just a few minutes from the city's administrative and financial heart. And the truth is, Hong Kong's claim to internationalism is as equally proven by the demographics of Tsimshatsui, as the tip of the Kowloon peninsula is called, as it is by anything else. The district's pavements are swirling rivers of turbans and baseball caps, hoodies and hijabs.

There is no place in Asia quite so multicultural as Tsimshatsui—not Roppongi, not Xintiandi, not even Khao San Road. And from the center of the area's polyglot hordes rises the great sleepless citadel known as Chungking Mansions. Its five 17-story towers are home to a fixed population of around 5,000. But the housing and commercial complex is visited daily by an estimated 10,000 who trade in everything from secondhand mobile phones to old clothing. Many come from Kolkata (formerly Calcutta) and Dhaka, and a good proportion have overstayed their visas in order to make quick money as restaurant workers or peddlers of counterfeit watches and bags. Gordon Mathews, professor of anthropology at the Chinese University of Hong Kong, has been conducting field research in this high-rise souk for almost a year, living for up to three nights a week in one of its hostels. Mathews says he has informally counted 120 different nationalities by examining guesthouse logs.

For first timers, Chungking Mansions—with its baying touts and shabby surrounds—is a nervy experience. But there is nothing to be afraid of. The haggling and the hustling is simply humanity being itself. A "center for low-end globalization," is how Mathews described it in a recent lecture—a sprawling mart of trade, with no barriers to entry and bargains for all. "My guess would be that 20% of the mobile phones now in use in sub-Saharan Africa have passed through Chungking Mansions," he says. "The ongoing myth has been of Chungking Mansions as a hellhole. But it is not. It is a beacon."

http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/best_of_asia/article/0,28804,1614524_1614473_1614447,00.html

Anissa 16 yrs ago
Wow! Sounds like an interesting place as well - Thanks will pay a visit

the goddess kali 16 yrs ago
I actually have HK friends who have yet tow ork up the nerve to walk inside Chung king mansions. Dark skin and poverty just bums them out apparently.

There's the newdelhi store, enter chung king mansions and keep walking straight till u have no choice but to make a turn and you'l find the store on your right.

i'm awfully lazya nd just stand there and ask the guys for what i want and they go and get all the things that i ask for.

Ed 16 yrs ago
Chungking Mansion is a fascinating place - worth a wander through - I've had some outstanding (and very cheap) Indian food at the restaurants there

the goddess kali 16 yrs ago
yes, Ed me too. There used to be a place that made scrumptious doner kebab. cant find it any more though. The restaurants on the first floor are good and there used to be an authentic south indian place ont he 7th floor (i think) that served great dosas and lamb, chicken or fish curry... though i could never fidn it on my own and would always go with my brother.

spirits 15 yrs ago
there is a indian grocery store in sheung wan as well. keep all spices etc. thier phone is 25177446 near hollywood road. hope this will help

4G 15 yrs ago
you get nice dried lentils at local chinese grocery stores too , they are displayed in huge jute bags ,open to see

andieg 15 yrs ago
The Indian store in Wanchai is based in bowrington road - this is the same lane as the bowrington market .It is the 1st left turn ( if youre facing north) from below the flyover .Look at the signs above your head- you will see this small shop .

rajaryans 15 yrs ago
If you want to buy quality Indian spices or pulses in bulk that too at affordable prices then you may contact to Evergreen Exports (http://www.evergreenexports.net) , they are wholesaler and exporter of the all types of quality spices, indian pulses, oil seeds, dehydrated products, ready to eat food items, pickles, instant mixes and flours, etc from Mumbai, India to major countries like USA, UK, HongKong, Singapore etc. Company has been focused on providing the finest quality spices and all food stuffs worldwide.

chromiselda 9 yrs ago
I found great luck buying bulk spices from http://www.regencyspices.hk they're local and have free shipping in HK. They also have a lot of spices I haven't found elsewhere so bigger plus.

KateKR 9 yrs ago
Nice!

ajeng 9 yrs ago
Indian store is everywhere,just depending where do you live, if if you live in new territories you should go to yuen long,just around the hope yick market,or just right ride of the fishes market,
Or if you want to get cheaper price
You can go to Kam Tin area
There are many Nepalian shop,Indian Shop,Pakistani shop or Indonesian shop
The place is just around the Welcome supermarket store
I'm sure you will get whatever you need

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad