Teaching Violin in HKG

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Sibelius 17 yrs ago
I will be moving to HKG next month, and looking to teach the violin. I would love to teach (private lessons) in a school setting as I have done in the past. Does anyone know if this is commonplace? Do elementary schools have string programs and tutors? And what is the demand? Thanks for any wisdom!

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Katetam 17 yrs ago
I would be interested. I am a piano teacher from Canada. recently want to start violin lessons..... where are you from?

Do you teach 4 year olds? I am also interested for my daughter.

Lots of demand here for violin, and for music learning centers, you would have LOTS of demand depending on your qualifications and experience.

Primary schools- you would need an education degree to teach there, unless you go to International schools, they might consider you. Pay wouldn't be as good by the hour as it would be if you taught privately.

Ed 17 yrs ago
You might want to consider posting an ad here:

http://hongkong.asiaxpat.com/atoz.asp

Sibelius 17 yrs ago
Thanks all, for your advice. I had typed out a response a few days ago that somehow wasn't posted up here ??? Not sure what I did or where it went! But thanks Katetam for your interest, I have taught dexterous 4yr olds before .. I would be careful to take things slowly and enjoy the fun side of music with a goal to develop a love for music and skills in musicality with that age group - the playing position of the violin can be demanding at first and motor skills are in overdrive! But I'd love to meet you both, that would be fun. I am from Australia ... but spent 5 yrs in Vancouver (2000 - 2005) and I do love your fine country. Do you teach? And if so, where? Do you really need an education degree to teach privately at a school? I understand the need for classroom teachers ....

Thanks also jaredada for your interest ... would love to meet you and your children ... where in the States are you from? I have a solid Suzuki background too .. it was fabulous as a beginner and many a string program have adopted the wonderful listening skills that Suzuki students are known for. I would describe my teaching as traditional in method (exams and the like) in that I aim to develop sound techinique and musicianship that will set a violinist up for the long run. But I do love to supplement the technical stuff with creative and tailored material appropriate for the age and ability of the student. There is some wonderful material out there for young violinists. I do think they need to early on be playing in ensemble groups though - it is crucial as time goes on that they develop these skills because the violin is such a social instrument. And there is repertoire to be enjoyed and good times to be had and I do believe it provides staying power for young violinists. I will need to work out how to provide or enable that if I teach privately. I do go on ...... sorry!

Thanks for your interest ... how do I let you both know where I'm up to with teaching? Do I save your details and send you a private message?

dutchapplepie 12 yrs ago
Hi Sibelius,

I am looking for violin classes for my 8 year old daughter. Are you still teaching in HK?

Midtwink 10 yrs ago
Hi sibelius,

I am looking for a violin teacher for my daughters. I dont know if you are still living in hong kong and have vacancy for new students

I would appreciate it if i could contact you? My email: vivy.soepardi@gmail.com

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad