Penalties for getting caught with alcohol or tobacco at HKIA

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by 1983 10 yrs ago
I've never been subject to those random checks at the airport so I've never been caught bringing slightly more than the permitted amount of alcohol or tobacco into Hong Kong. Usually a bottle of whiskey or two, and some cigars, a three or five pack of corona's which used to be ok until they changed the limits a few years ago so you can't bring in a bottle of anything over 40% alcohol and less than a pack of cigarettes.

I know someone who was caught a few years ago with cigarettes and they were made to discard the most of it and come through with the permitted amount. I was always under the assumption that if caught, you would have the option to either pay the tax or leave the items like that. However, I spoke to someone recently that said customs are no longer allow this and make anyone caught without declaring these items pay the full price plus a penalty.

Anyone have current info? I don't actually know what happens if things have changed or if they ever were more relaxed about it a few years ago like I thought.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Ed 10 yrs ago
I was in Scotland recently wondering the same thing as I wanted to bring some whiskey back...

I'm not totally clear on the penalty but I suspect it would result in seizure of the undeclared goods --- and I think the duty is a whopping 100% - more here

http://www.customs.gov.hk/en/passenger_clearance/duty_free/

Please support our advertisers:

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad