Mininova

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by salepepe 14 yrs ago
I've always used this site to download my fave US tv shows. But apparently this site does not work anymore.

Can anyone recommend an alternative site? I'm missing my grey's anatomy etc!

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
axptguy38 14 yrs ago
The easiest way is to google as follows: "grey's anatomy torrent" or "grey's anatomy hdtv". That will give you a few options, for example isohunt, torrentz and and torrentreactor. BTW mininova seems up right now.

Insert disclaimer about this being potentially illegal activity.

onemorething 14 yrs ago
http://eztv.it and http://www.btjunkie.org

I believe downoading copyrighted material is not illegal in Hong Kong. Uploading probably is, so technically BT may indeed be potentially illegal. Then again, you don't upload the whole file, just small chunks of data... at your own risk then!

salepepe 14 yrs ago
Thx for the replies.

Axptguy, I've just tried mininova again and still can't get anything. There is a msg at the top of the screen which says "only Content Distribution torrents are allowed". Wonder what that means.

onemorething 14 yrs ago
Dutch court order shut down Mininova's as it was due to content copyright violations.

Digital Blonde 14 yrs ago
"The easiest way is to google"

I think search engine results are a more efficient way of searching for single episode torrents rather than going to a site like minniova, because you get torrent results across multiple tracker sites. so I personally find google better in that regard, though I expect at some point they will probably stop throwing up those results.

If you want a full season though, I think isohunt is best,

Though I categorically deny ever having downloaded a torrent in my life ;-)

axptguy38 14 yrs ago
"Dutch court order shut down Mininova's as it was due to content copyright violations."

I always find this funny. The vast majority of torrent tracker sites won't touch actual copyrighted CONTENT with a ten foot pole, the eleven foot pole being the tracker files. The content is stored in other places. Whether this constitutes "enabling copyright crime" or not is another matter.

"I personally find google better in that regard, though I expect at some point they will probably stop throwing up those results."

Probably tricky. I mean how would you build that filter? ;)

funbobby 14 yrs ago
agree with onemorething...i always use www.eztv.it

(i'm surprised this thread has lasted this long....the last one advocating BT was shut down within hours...)

"I mean how would you build that filter"

They could just de-index the domain and 2LD's of all major tracker sites. That won't stop new domains from emerging or perhaps the use of redirects.

But it will have a major impact on the use of google as a method for searching for copyrighted material for download.

I am not sure why the Dutch felt the need to shut down a tracker site. Going forward there seems to be a global agreement being negotiated for "graduated response", in spite of the European union enshrining certain internet civil rights.

If that does occur, I am not sure how file sharers will respond, there doesn't seem an awful lot you can do. Perhaps multiple legal challenges by individual ISP customers would make it prohibitively expensive for the ISP, who would then tell regulators to p*ss off.

hmm 14 yrs ago
torrentz.com

axptguy38 14 yrs ago
"They could just de-index the domain and 2LD's of all major tracker sites. That won't stop new domains from emerging or perhaps the use of redirects.

But it will have a major impact on the use of google as a method for searching for copyrighted material for download."

Well, yes. The "problem" is that the criminals are pretty fast and agile. ;)

Anyway I don't see Google doing this. They want ANY searches. If someone starts using Bing instead for torrents pretty soon they try it for other things.

"If that does occur, I am not sure how file sharers will respond, there doesn't seem an awful lot you can do. "

There is a big movement towards anonymising mechanisms like seedboxes. Another development is the use of P2P apps like Oneswarm that do not transmit the IP of anyone but the nearest peers. This means that you can only be seen by your direct connection.

Interesting, and good news!!! I thought ISP's were monitoring file sharers based on traffic or useage, and based on that they could tell.

Glad if there is a problem, then filesharers have a man on it.

In answer to your third point, I think if Google moved to de-index or impose a penalty on certain sites for enabling file share, I think it would be really as a response to regulatory pressure rather than out of the goodness of their heart, and in that regard I think Bing would probably be under similar pressure, so if they did do it, I imagine it would be with the expectation that others would eventually follow suit and not under any other circumstance.

I see them acting unilaterally, but only as a result of the way the wind is blowing and with the belief that their move will prompt others to act similarly.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad